43oh

first post - newbie seeking guidance!

Hi Everyone :wave:

I am a newb with a couple of launchpads. One project I would like to build is a midi clock to cv clock so I can sync an analog sequencer to a midi clock. I've found NatureTM's midi synth, and also RobG's projects look very interesting. I've ordered some msp430g2553 samples from TI so I can try those. So far I haven't been able to get NatureTM's midi synth to function - perhaps I don't have the circuit right. What I would ideally like to get working first is to receive any kind of midi signals and echo them back out and view them via a terminal emulator. Actually I'd like to know in general what are the best practices for outputting debug messages in real time. Stepping through the program via a debugger is fine, but I can't see how this method can be used when the msp430 is receiving data from an external source.

Any kind of assistance at all would be HUUGEly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Ha! No replies!

No problem! I'm finally finding information at a level I can actually digest to help me wrap my head around programming this device. Gustavo Litovsky's tutorial is helping me a lot in particular. It's linked to in the post by ender on the thread named 'Best information for those new to the MSP430?' I'd link to it, but currently I seem not even to be allowed to link into internal URL's without being identified as spammy.

Richard

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes bluehash, I've seen RobG's projects they look very interesting indeed. They seem to require the msp430g2553 though. I suspect they use some functionality or other that the lower-end processors of the value series do not provide. Some samples arrived yesterday from TI, but my g2553s are backordered and won't come for a couple of weeks.

Being new to microprocessors I've decided to do my best to learn everything thoroughly from the ground up. I just started MSP430 Microcontroller Basics by John Davies and it looks very promising. I'm using this PDF until my print edition arrives. http://myweb.wit.edu/johnsont/Classes/244/MSP430%20Microcontroller%20Basics.pdf

I'll come back and post details once I get stuck into my Midi-CV clock project.

You should have gotten a G2553 with your LP?

It is harder to get started with the Launchpad than with something like the Arduino, but you learn real programming with the LP that will enable to you move on to bigger and better things in the future. A little effort now pays off big time in the future :)

I have a few LPs, one of them I removed the male soldered in headers and put female and soldered in the crystal so I could easily prototype circuits. Very useful when starting out!

My launchpads came with 2231 and 2211. Perhaps they were earlier editions? They've been sitting on the shelf for a while. They came with male and female headers with neither attached and a surface mount 32kHz crystal which was slightly fiddly to install.

Thanks for the encouragement Kyle. I have an Arduino sitting around too, but I came to the same conclusion re: the educational value of the LP route. I'm learning by writing myself a wiki. Progress is slow right now. In fact I'm still learning about how configure the clocks. I'm spurred on by the fantastic possibilities my newly acquired knowledge will open up though. :D