43oh

Anyone notice the 8-pin MSP430 yet?

I don't get it. Why do you need Low Power MCU for servo or heater. In these applications it doesn't matter if MCU consumes 0.1, 1 or 10mA, when servo or heater draws several amps.

I meant for servo only, for the time when it is idle. You wouldn't need to use power switch.

However, range heater controller and light dimmer would benefit too because most of the time they are powered by transformerless supplies.

What I was trying to say is that there are still plenty of uses for a chip with only 4 GPIOs.

Oh, how about DCC decoder?

This is pretty cool but I'm not really sure how necessary it is.

The SOIC package is pretty much identical in size to a 14pin TSSOP package. So you can't complain about running out of I/O's because there are alternatives available.

Finally not being a prototype friendly package doesn't really mean much for MSP, because the CPUs are all identical (well all the value lines are) Just develop with a DIP packaged one, make sure your code fits in the required flash space and you can flash these devices with your identical code. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I don't get it. Why do you need Low Power MCU for servo or heater. In these applications it doesn't matter if MCU consumes 0.1, 1 or 10mA, when servo or heater draws several amps.

I tend to say that sometimes, not always, in production it's only a question of price, availability and features. How much current they draw is secondary if those MCUs do not differ too much. And MSP430G2s are really cheap and capable MCUs.

• 1 year later...

The LaunchPad programs MSP430s via the pins RST and TEST. All you need to do is connect these two pins plus VCC and GND to the respective headers on the connector J3.

See here: http://43oh.com/2011/11/tutorial-to-use-your-launchpad-as-a-programmer/

When you breadboard, make sure that RST is connected to VCC via a resistor (1K or something in that range).

Note that Energia can only program the few MSP430 models it supports. Using CCS or similar full-fledged environments you can program virtually any MSP430 with your LaunchPad.

• 6 months later...

Hello, I often use small controler 2230 but I'm very lazy guy, and I made small pcb to easy convert 14->8PIN for direct programming into launchpad board.

Pcb have two part:

- one for typical 1:1 SO8->DIP converter

- second 1:1 but with SO8->DIP14 compatibility, ready for work directly in launchpad (like MSP430G2231).

post-26502-0-59651400-1411584760_thumb.pngpost-26502-0-90563900-1411584754_thumb.png

(Zip'ed *.pcb included in traxmaker/protel format)

I have a few spare board (25pcs) ....

Add 26.9.14

I split adapters into two files:

MSP430G2230_DIP8.PCB for 1:1 adapter

MSP430G2230_DIP14.PCB for SO->DIP14 adapter

MSP430G2230.ZIP