zeke

Anyone notice the 8-pin MSP430 yet?

Looks like a pretty darn awesome chip! =D tssop20 g2553 is all I really need though.... unless these g2330s are super cheap.

Looks like a G2211/2231 in a 8 pin package.

Dedicated Reset / Test pins. FAIL

They could learn from Microchip

Atleast there not like AVRs that don't always have a dedicated programing pin. Perhaps on small devices that would be handy to combine functions, but on larger devices its really handy to have the isolated programing.

The Microchip debug headers are not about combining debug and GPIO, but rather about separating them.

The production chip has no debug pins, there is nothing shared because the functionality is either not in the chip or not available on bonded out pins.

The debug header uses a larger package on an adapter board. The larger package has the dedicated debug pins. This allows all the pins of the production package to be used as GPIO and still allow full debugging with the use of the debug header.

Using pins as dual purpose GPIO and programming is something TI already does with the JTAG and BSL pins on most MSP430 with those features. Atmel also does this on many AVR for the SPI programming interface.

Two chips. G2210 and G2230. 2210 has comparator while 2230 has 10bit adc and usi.

The datasheet shows that they are all 2kb + 256 (infomem?). 128kb ram.

Some pin rearranging, but it limits dedicated pins. If you are using all 4 comparator or adc inputs, no more outputs. If you are using the usi, there goes nearly all your analog inputs.

8 Pin SOIC only. Not too bad for hand soldering. Audiophiles have gerryrigged them to 8 pin dip sockets all the time by bending the outer pins.

THS4052%20on%20DIP%20socket.jpg

And here's the kicker:

The GPIOs P1.0, P1.1, P1.3, P1.4, P2.6, and P2.7 are implemented but not available on the device pinout. To avoid floating inputs, these digital I/Os should be properly configured. The pullup or pulldown resistors of the unbounded P1.x GPIOs should be enabled, and the VLO should be selected as the ACLK source (see the MSP430x2xx Family User's Guide (SLAU144)).

Yea... these are just repackaged g2211 and g2231. Bit by bit, only difference is the package. They didn't even renumber the peripherals on the remaining pins.

Since those pins in the registers aren't used, we could use the register bits as spare bools:

if(5 > some_condition < 10) P1OUT |= BIT0;
else P1OUT &= ~BIT0;
(P1OUT & BIT0) ? (turn_motor_left()) : (turn_motor_right());

Thanks, Zeke! I've been waiting for something like this or a 6-pin'er.

I have a couple of samples on their way from North Dakota, cross country (the short way) down to Texas.

Sure wish a DIP package was available but these guys are still large enuf I can solder 'em.

-Rusty-

This chip would make a great servo driver. Low power, one pin for input, one for pot, two pins to control h-bridge.

Another great use, range heater controller, one pin for pot, one for LED, one for zero crossing detector, and one to drive triac.

Light switch dimmer, fan timer, many more.