43oh

Migrate 43oh Forums to Ipboard

Should 43oh Forums migrate to IP.board?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello everyone,

I'm seriously thinking to migrate the 43oh Forums to ipboard. It's not free, but you get good support and plugins and also real time spam monitoring for a small fee every six months.

I just need your feedback. Please take part in the Poll.If not, why?

The ipboard community is pretty big, so it is very unlikely that it might fail. Conversion to ipboard from phpbb3 should be no problem. Although we will loose "Thanks" statistics.

Reasons for thinking to shift:

- Good support

- Good amount of plugins

- Looks professional

- Built in AJAX posting. Allows for quick replies without page refreshing.

- Good layout.

- Good private message system

- Spam monitoring

An example: http://community.invisionpower.com/

Go to Pre-Sales questions as it is open to visitors.

Another benefit, the mobile skin for ipboard is hella nice.

Biggest concern, as iirc, this forum is hosted on the site's server, and server load is a concern. Will the ipboard be hosted on its own, or does it have reduced usage compared to a phpboard of the same size?

phpBB is one of the best boards you can get. almost every function can be included with plugins / mods / addons - so why switch to antoher board?

-Good support ... same here in the phpBB-forum

- Good amount of plugins ... as much as you can get for the phpBB? ;)

- Looks professional ... phpBB does not look profesisonal?

- Built in AJAX posting. Allows for quick replies without page refreshing. ... there are a few pluigins out on the market to do this with phpBB

- Good layout ... just a question of the used template and design / coding

- Good private message system ... ok - phpBB is not really intuative

- Spam monitoring ... can be easily added by mods

Thanks for your comments.

Good support ... same here in the phpBB-forum

I agree, but if no one knows the solution to your problem, your left floating.

Looks professional ... phpBB does not look profesisonal?

IpBoard looks pretty good. well thought out layout, less clicking around.

Built in AJAX posting. Allows for quick replies without page refreshing. ... there are a few pluigins out on the market to do this with phpBB

This is inbuilt into ipboard. If I install a mod and phpbb3 upgrades to a new version, I'm left out. Even now, I'm kind of hesitant to upgrade with the 3 mods I have as the developers in charge of the mods have not upgraded.

Good layout ... just a question of the used template and design / coding

Having it out of the box helps a lot. Less tweaks, the better.

Spam monitoring ... can be easily added by mods

Yes.. but again same thing as above. Also it is not perfect. Spam monitoring works as other forums report it.

I've to check the server load. It should do. ipboard has a caching system too.

I voted "Don't Care". :?

It's really up to you. I think we're all happy with the forums, it's just a question of how much hassle the new system would save you. Is it worth the money to save you the time/hassle? :?:

I think we'd be happy with any decision you make.

I think we'd be happy with any decision you make.

+1 (voted don't care)

I'm really happy about this forum, both technically and content wise. I reckon that there will be some "issues" on any upgrade (even to a newer phpbb) to begin with. I'm quite sure that they will get ironed out, and people will get used to any changes that require some adaptation.

Cheers,

Paul

i used myBB for a very long time - it offers a lot features like phpBB3 and some of the features you want ... the question really is: do you have enough time and skill (and also fun on finding and fixing problems) to set up and manage your own forum?

"never touch a running system" - why upgrade with every new version? if there are no real security lacks then it often isn't necessary to have the latest version ;)

the other fact is: if it doesn't cost too much - and you can get almost everything out of one hand - including mods and support - then you can save a lot of time

• 3 weeks later...