bluehash

CC2500 Breakout/BoosterPack

This is what i can offer for Shipping:

1 - 3 Boards - $0.65 + $0.20

4 - 6 Boards - $0.85 + $ 0.20

7 - 10 Boards - $1.05 + $0.20

11 - 12 Boards - $1.25 + $0.20

The extra charge is for the cost of the envelope.

Prices assume 1.6mm boards with seeedstudio's weight for the PCBs and domestic mailing address.

What would the cost be to mail to Canada?

International orders look like they have to be sent in a package due to customs. Pricing starts out at $3.

Canada shouldn't exceed $4 for a reasonable order (10) and Europe shouldn't exceed $6-7 again for a reasonable order (10).

Should i setup a group buy?

We should slow down the breakneck pace here just a bit. Let's get some eyes on the PCB to make sure that it's going to work.

We were trying to synchronize with the arrival of the boards at BlueHash's Headquarters so that they could be shipped out at the same time. But now that MTG is managing this Group Buy we can afford to take some time to verify the PCB layout and schematics that RobG has kindly put together.

RobG, can you post up your eagle design files so that we can take a look at them carefully?

In addition, we should start posting links to CC2500 technical info so that it's readily available.

1. CC2500 product page

2. CC2500 Datasheet

3. SmartRF Studio

4. Schematic from Vendor's website

Here's the above schematic so we don't lose it. It's almost a cut and paste from page 18 of Link #1.

post-955-135135537059_thumb.jpg

We can prune this technical portion off onto another thread if necessary.

Go ahead. I don't mind.

Are you collecting payment/orders still?

It will be good if you do it. I normally print the orders onto labels from Paypal as I have it set up for the Store. If we split the work(me payment and you shipping), it will be chaos trying to get all the addresses right.

Hi,

I'm new to the booster packs (also to uC and electronics) so please don't yell at me, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Does the booster pack contain a 2553 uC or it's just a place to solder one into it?

a) if it has 2553, then how to program it without the launchpad?

B) if it doesn't contain one (which would make sense as it would drive the cost up) then how to solder a SMD to the board and more over how to program one as launchpad accepts only DIP packages?

2. How to connect CC2500 board to the booster/breakouts while prototyping? Is it enough to just lay the CC2500 on the long solder tracks or it needs some solder added there? I see those long tracks on both the booster (on the left and right, for two radios) and breakout boards (at top of each one).

Again, sorry for the silly questions :)

Krzyk,

booster pack (or rather the little breakout board) doesn't come with 2553, you need to solder one.

To program 2553, you connect the board to LP (or EZ430-F2013, etc.) via 1.27mm/0.05" 4 pin header (four square pads on the board.)

And when it comes to soldering, you will need to get used to SMD :) Get a flux pen and a small tip (1/32" or 1/64") for your iron.

Pozdrawiam.

Krzyk,

booster pack (or rather the little breakout board) doesn't come with 2553, you need to solder one.

To program 2553, you connect the board to LP (or EZ430-F2013, etc.) via 1.27mm/0.05" 4 pin header (four square pads on the board.)

And when it comes to soldering, you will need to get used to SMD :) Get a flux pen and a small tip (1/32" or 1/64") for your iron.

Pozdrawiam.

I'm sure getting soldered on could be arranged. $3.00 per MSP430G2553 seem fair? ($2.78 on digikey)

Completely soldering the 2553 module seems like somewhere between $7 to $10 :!!!:

What kind of issues?

I was planning on ordering 1mm or 1.2mm boards, 1.6mm will be much harder to cut (it would make MCU boards bulky too.)

• Sub boards cannot be separated by drills. Silkscreen only
    The pin header footprint for the radio on the pitch converter fails DRC for clearance between pads.
    The programming header on the 2553 sub-board also fails DRC for clearance between pads.
    Silkscreen overlaps a considerable amount of pads.
    Square vias (Personal taste ;) )
    Not enough of clearance between sub boards, should have .08" of clearance between boards.
    Silkscreen off board/on edges.

A decoupling cap near VDD on the launchpad header might be a good idea.

I'm also thinking the booster pack board could be made smaller. You could fit another sub-board or a key chain (I think it would be awesome)

• 1. Sub boards cannot be separated by drills. Silkscreen only
    2. The pin header footprint for the radio on the pitch converter fails DRC for clearance between pads.
    3. The programming header on the 2553 sub-board also fails DRC for clearance between pads.
    4. Silkscreen overlaps a considerable amount of pads.
    5. Square vias (Personal taste ;) )
    6. Not enough of clearance between sub boards, should have .08" of clearance between boards.
    7. Silkscreen off board/on edges.

8. A decoupling cap near VDD on the launchpad header might be a good idea.

9. I'm also thinking the booster pack board could be made smaller. You could fit another sub-board or a key chain (I think it would be awesome)

1. What they mean is you cannot have a row of drill holes. What I put there are just guiding holes. I have used both ways and my boards were never rejected. They will only complain if you have drill holes every 0.05"

2. & 3. This is because I have modified the original Fusion rules (Fusion_eagle_rule_v1.1) to make ground plane clearances bigger. If you verify against original rules, all will pass. Those should be approved errors. Use both rules and make Gerber files, you will see no difference or problems with those headers.

4. Silkscreen overlaps will be knocked out by the fab house.

5. We can change to round vias :)

6. I think there is enough clearance (if you are scoring with the knife and breaking the board) but there is plenty of room to make the clearance bigger (in case someone want's to cut those boards with the saw.)

7. Will be taken care of by the fab house.

8. I have one decoupling cap near the memory chip, MBC, but if you feel we need another one, never hurts to have more just in case. We may also want to add one near both SPI headers.

9. We could shrink the board, Seeed allows 5 sub boards so you can squeeze one more.

Here's the updated rule file that will take care of all DRC errors.

Fusion_eagle_rule_v1.1-cc2500.dru.zip

Also, I did try to make it smaller, but all you can get is 0.4"

Thanks,

Have already looked at sparkfun tutorial on SMD soldering, maybe I'll try it when I'll have some soldering wick :)

In the beginning I'll mostly use the two smaller breakout boards, it should be easier for me.

The only time I ever use wick is when I'm removing a component from a board or need to take solder off of a pad I've accidentally bumped while soldering next to it...

Get the smallest tip you can for your iron, some nice liquid flux, and small solder (I find 0.032" to be good). Put a tiny droplet of flux on the pad/pin you want to solder, swipe the tip of your iron at the end of the solder wire (you want a tiny bead on the end of your iron, sometimes it's hard to get that, but a small amount on the end works), place iron tip on pad/pin and watch solder jump to them, verify no cold joint (keep iron in place ~2 sec on the PAD), pull away on the board (pulling upward tends to give me pointy sharp things if I'm not quick enough because the flux is all gone, so swiping away along the board tends to be cleaner).

Very simple.

Go ahead. I don't mind.

Are you collecting payment/orders still?

It will be good if you do it. I normally print the orders onto labels from Paypal as I have it set up for the Store. If we split the work(me payment and you shipping), it will be chaos trying to get all the addresses right.

It would begin to appear that i will have left over boards (20 or so), Want to stock some of them in the 43oh store or donate to a POTM?