43oh

CC2500 Breakout/BoosterPack

For me, I'd go for opossum's or SA's non-panalized version. Yes, it would drive costs up, but think of the cutting that I'll have to do or rather whoever buys it. I'd prefer not to deal with panel cutting. I do not have the right equipment.

If you use 1mm boards (and I think you should use 1mm or less for this type of breakout board,) cutting is a breeze.

@oPossum, can you make all parts (or at least LEDs) on your LaunchPad Mini SMD?

We have many peripherals that use SPI and it would be nice to have a standard connector to plug them in. We could make a booster pack that would have some most commonly used parts as well as SPI port on one end (oPossum's LaunchPad Mini could have SPI connector instead of CC2500.) Then all you need is a MTG style breakout to plug things in.

You can make the panel with 2" x 1.5mm main SPI/mini LP board and two 1" x 0.5" breakouts, one for CC2500 and one generic use or something like that.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After going back and forth all weekend on what jumpers to include, here's the "final" design. The board includes: 1 Booster pack 2 G2xx3/CC2500 boards 2 breakout boards compatible with booster pac

Here's the tutorial  

Just a teaser  

Posted Images

One of the boards on the panel should be MSP430G board, so you would get a complete solution, one booster board, one breakout to use with booster, and one satellite msp430 to which you could solder cc2500. The board could be 2" x 1.4", breakout 0.5" x 0.6", satellite board 1.5" x 0.6" or 1" x 0.6" with extra breakout. SPI connection would be 2x4 0.1 header. Booster would have 2 SPI headers for testing 2 radios.

Actually, I really like all of them :clap: and I'm not sure which one I'd choose. They all have some good use cases. The mini launchpad also... For pin-outs, could we use the same as the RF booster pack?

I also like the concept of a common SPI-connector... which connector should this be? I could also support the same on the SPI LCD board I'm making. This board needs more than just the SPI-pins though, so we'd need a connector that can be used with this board (many pins) and just plain SPI also. 10-pin (2x5 pin) IDC-type, but put the basic SPI on one row??

This was my thought about my robot-board. I've made one version with Grove-contacts (similar to IDC) and one with RJ11 pins. The latter are very child-friendly, but the connectors are very big so probably not ideal for most other purposes.

Would be nice to have some connectors that are quite cheap to source from futurlec or similar.

Looks good, but to make sure I understand. What are the pins on on the different SPI plugs.

Are the SPI-ports configurable using the SPI1config, but there are two different configurations that could have different pins from the MCU? Maybe we could add some more SPI-headers in addition, since there's room? They could share the same SPI-pins, right?

Regarding the radio-board, it should not have ground under it, and probably preferably no wires??

Isn't the radio-board through-hole? Just surface mount?

You could possibly make the larger of the breakout-boards a different connector for a breadboard. Turning it 90 degrees. To comply with the wish someone had about breadboard-compatibility.

I like this plugin-concept...

2x4 pin SPI headers are 1:1 with CC2500 9 pin headers (except clock pin #9.)

Booster board

You can plug one or two radios using breakout boards, or attach them directly to SMD pads.

You can also create and use other SPI daughter boards, like memory, since SPI, Vcc, GND, CS, and other signals are available on that header.

SPIconfig1 is used to switch between USCI(B) and USI when SPI1 port is used.

SPIconfig2 is used to disconnect from USCI(A) when the second radio is not necessary.

Breakout board is pretty much 1:1, nothing special here.

MSP430 board will have MSP430G2553 and an LDO on it. CC2500 will be soldered on one end, 2x4 header will have Vcc, GND, and 6 general use I/Os connected to MCU.

The board below is almost finished, just a few tweaks left. There are no jumpers for module 2 since I am assuming that only module 1 would be soldered and used most of the time. Added 0.05" programming header to msp430 board. One more thing that I might add later is a little logic buffer from pin 9 to XIN.

[Picture removed, see my next post]