larsie

LCD and Touch booster pack

This may be the code I had there before CorB implemented large characters. I think it doesn't work properly. I'll have a look. Can you give a code example so I know which function you're calling?

Lars

OK, have tested it now. It seems this character set only supports digits and very few characters that are good for temperature displays, such as F, C, K, degrees etc. It is "relatively" easy to add support for more fonts.

Try the following to see if you get the squares. You'll notice that you're not actually getting the characters in the code, but the above characters instead. I've attached my full code.

Note also that I've in this example used the updated glcd library, which may have some fixes compared to the one that's in the link you have above, for example when it comes to graphics beyond characters. The glcd library is downloadable from his post here.

setCursor(0, 0);
         writeString(0,0,";<=>?@AB");
         writeString(0,2,"123:456");

:=space

;=:

<=.

==/

etc...

glcd-with-example-large-fonts.zip

Larsie,

I undestand teh code the problem is that the returned values for the character bitmap were 0xFF, with using the current TI compiler..And yes I was only using numbers

Lars:

I recently purchased the LCD Button Booster pack, and it was marked V4,

but I do not see any schematics for it.

Are there any noteworthy differences between the schematics for V2/V3 and the

apparently newer V4 revision ?

For the 220 ohm backlight resistor, is it mounted at the same point as

was shown for the V2/V3 schematics ?

Thanks,

Wayne

Yes, there is one small change. Now the P2.0 is connected to the backlight, so there is no need for additional soldering for getting backlight. Some of the other backlight circuitry, including space for a button is still there. This is only for the v4 button board. Schematic is attached. This is only for the button board at this point.

To turn on the backlight, drive P2.0 low (0), as it's connected to the ground-pin of the backlight.

post-4760-0-76090500-1353916558_thumb.png

Thanks for putting this together Lars. Got my v4 board today, soldered the buttons and headers, ran the demo LarsLCS-CCS code, and was presented with a friendly "Hello". I look forward to having some fun with this.

Thanks. Have fun! For me it has been really rewarding to have produced these boards and see them get distributed. I've been into software product development so many years and it feels great to have made something concrete and physical, though still in small quantities :smile: ...

It'd be cool to hear about some of the projects where people use them.

Question regarding the backlight on v4 board.  I got main_lcd_simple.c running in CCS without trouble, and I am toggling the backlight with Button 4 (S4).  After the DIP board setup, I have added:

P2DIR |= BIT0;
  P2OUT &= ~(BIT0);

And when checking for a button press I just use:

P2OUT ^= BIT0;

This works (backlight turns off and on with presses), but is this the best way of doing it? (I usually code Obj-C, so a lot is still new to me).

From a previous post, the most recent schematic, and my v4 PCB, it looks like there is another button location labelled LED in the schematic for backlight control.  Unfortunately, I am all out of buttons after soldering S1-4.  Recommendations on a 4-pin switch?  I would like to use S1-4 for things other than backlight control.

The code is fine. As you realize already, the following is necessary to set the pin to output-mode. P2DIR |= BIT0;

The following will turn on or off the backlight:

P2OUT &= ~(BIT0); // Turns the pin LOW, so the backlight is turned on (counter-intuitively)

P2OUT |= BIT0;    // Turns the pin HIGH, so the backlight is turned off (counter-intuitively)

The following will toggle it:

P2OUT ^= BIT0;

You can have interrupts on rising and falling edges and turn on/off respectively, or just have a while-loop where you check for the input-pin of the button. In general using interrupts are recommended on MSP430 because it preserves battery (you can stay in low-power-mode when not doing anything rather than just looping). 

There is also a back-light button you can use, top left of the LCD. Then you should remove the resistor that's connected to P2.0 and either move it (if possible) or put a new one in the other location for the button. There are cheap buttons on dealextreme, but free shipping takes a long time. Otherwise the buttons are available in many internet shops and are typically the same standard size. 

Lars

You are a great EE and I like your products. Are you still going to offer the LCD Button Booster Board it's not on the 430 store list anymore. 

Thanks

Tony