larsie

LCD and Touch booster pack

Hello Larsie,

I have recently purchased your LCD Button Booster Pack from 43oh. I have been trying for the last week to download your sample code for CSS from: "lars.roland.bz/test/LarsLCD-CCS.zip" but have not been able to get through. I am new with the MSP430 platform and it would save me a lot of time if I could download that sample. Any help would be appreciated. By the way it looks like a well put together design and I think it may be a perfect platform for a prototype I am hoping to assemble in the next few weeks. Thanks again,

Paul

Thanks, just downloaded the file from your web page and it worked fine. I am just getting started with the MSP430 and was going to use CCS because that seems to be what TI pushs. Do you like IAR better? I am not tied to any editor yet, my background is in Visual Studio, PLC code, and scripting languages used in industrial motion controls. I have also done some coding with the Arduino. Any advice is always apreciated. Thanks Again!

Paul

Both are fine, but if you're starting from scratch I'd maybe go for CCS since it has a higher code size restriction. This is especially useful for fonts, graphics etc for the lcd. Many projects fit inside the 4K IAR restrictions, but 16K is better. Energia is also an option.

Larsie, What version IAR is the sample code written in. I downloaded 5.0 from TI but I am unable to get anything to compile without a linker error. I read in some blogs that there is some issues with this between versions of IAR. If not I am sure it is something I have set up wrong. Also is the sample code for the Touch Boosterpack or the DIP boosterpack with buttons or does it not matter? Thank You!

Will check iar version tomorrow. The github code has examples both for touch and button. It has multiple main files and you have to exclude those you don't want in the build options. This might be the cause. Which linker error do you get?

Nevermind, I found the problem, I had IAR project options pointing to the wrong device. Thanks for the example code. It helps rookies like me get started. Thanks again.

I just received the Lars -LCD_touch_boost, nice.. I downloaded the CC code was able to compile with a warning about the compiler version different. I have 4.1.2. The code runs as is though as I was exploring and testing I found that the large font mode does not work. I do see that it is available for numbers and and a few letters. But when attempting to use the large font everything get displayed as a solid block. If i modify the indexing into the the array 'numchar[x] [y]' where the 'x' is a hard coded number the proper display is shown. Has anyone else come across this?

Correct the small fonts work but the large fonts do not a solid box is displayed. Stepping through the code I noticed that 'numchar[chr]' returns 0xff always. If I hard code a value for 'chr', say '0' is works. It has to be with how the multi dimensional is being handled. For test purposes I did the following for all cases with success

if(mychrIdx == 0 ) mychar = numchar[0];

if(mychrIdx == 1 ) mychar = numchar[1];

if(mychrIdx == 2 ) mychar = numchar[2];

if(mychrIdx == 3 ) mychar = numchar[3];

SPIWrite(DATA, mychar);

OK, It's CorB who made the large-char code, but my sample code may be an old version of his. I'll PM him. I'll also test the code on my own touch. Where did you download the source from? The store-webpage?