Sign in to follow this  
larsie

DIY Capacitative touch sensor

I'm thinking of making a Booster pack with an LCD and a touch sensor, simply because the touch sensor is so cheap to implement. So I just wanted to try to see if it was possible to make my own touch sensor (it should of course be, but I'm a sceptic). Here it is. It works really well. The sensor is rather rough, drawn on a PCB with a marker and etched with FeCl. I guess I could have used a drill to make the pattern also. It's not revolutionary I guess, but it was fun to get working.

Any thoughts on whether a booster pack with LCD and touch sensor would (or would not work)? Would the software get too complicated?

Youtube video:

cap-sense-touch-1024x768.jpg

cap-sense-1024x768.jpg

cap-sense-no-cover-1024x768.jpg

It would actually be pretty simple I think. I've had some cap touch buttons made for bottle caps and the code (I was using capsense library) was cake... throwing that and an LCD together should be pretty straightforward. A single row of sensors with tap or slide would be nice I think. 4 or 5?

A "slide" was easy to implement. Didn't have much luck with the captouch Library though. The PinOsc demo TI offers worked really well. http://www.43oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1855&start=10#p14697

I tested doing a capsense panel behind the dogs_lcd I'm working on. Reading was random and intermittent so I went with the touchscreen.