Sign in to follow this  
SirZusa

Programming MSP430F5171 / MSP4305xxx with Launchpad

Hey, after getting my "wrecked" pcb's without soldermask i soldered a MSP430F5171 to the breakout and connected RST, TEST, VCC and GND to the appropriate pins of the device (Dvio, Dvcc, 2x Dvss, RST and TEST) for SBW-Programming. Datasheet says it supports SBW.

But i cant program it with IAR and/or CCS5.

Already checked the traces (no shortcuts, all have contact to the pins on the other side).

Checked the voltages - ~3.5V between RST+TEST and Dvss+Dvcc.

Also tried to directly connect it to the Emulator-part of the Launchpad, then tried to connect only GND+TEST+RST.

Nothing seems to work - Did i forget something or may the chip be bricked?

I think i burned the chip while soldering it :oops:

I tried it again with a MSP430F5172 and it worked fine with CCS5. With IAR i cannot debug - don't know why - maybe the limitations of the Kickstart-Edition ;)

I have some other chips here and will try it with them and report if it works ;)

edit: another test - after reboot and unplugging the usb-cable it also works with IAR ;)

There's a limit on how much current the Launchpad can supply, since it's powering so much (TUSB3410, its crystal, the FET emulator, the LEDs, etc...). Have you tried self-powering the MSP430F5 chip? Some models have an integrated 3.3V LDO so you can hook it up to a 5V source and direct the output to the chip DVCC.

Oh and be careful if you're hooking up the LDO; the MSP430 has virtually no 5V tolerant ports (except I think the PUx ones), so you'll literally burn the chip if you accidentally do so.

After soldering another chip on my breakout programming the devices with the launchpad was no problem anymore - so i think i had a defect chip or i just burned it. However now it works fine with the TSSOP and LQFP-Chips i tested ;)