43oh

Incase anyone wants a 14 DIP G2553

Nice video. I'm thinking this is probably because the silicon die itself is very small, and the only reason the chip itself is that large is to allow for the through hole contacts. As long as you don't cut into (or otherwise destroy) the silicon, you should be able to do whatever you want to the chip.

Have you ever burned an IC (as in with the trash in the burning barrel)? If you have, you would have seen that the manufacturers always put the silicon chip in the center of the package, with the pins fanning out on either side of a DIP package. So, if you cut off the lower six pins+package of a 20-pin DIP, you would completely miss the silicon chip, and it would still programmable and everything would still work. (that is, except the lower six bits of port 2)

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting. Since the die is in the center of these devices. (I checked on one of my G2211 ICs) Cutting the top pins would create an even smaller package. Of course you would remove the voltage input Pins...I wonder how good the clamping diodes are on the IO pins are :lol:

Further experiment time? :D

Soic with custom made dip adaptor (reset and decoupling caps on top). Might be bigger height wise, but will be the size you want. Power + ground + 6 i/o?

Interesting. Since the die is in the center of these devices. (I checked on one of my G2211 ICs) Cutting the top pins would create an even smaller package. Of course you would remove the voltage input Pins...I wonder how good the clamping diodes are on the IO pins are :lol:

Soic with custom made dip adaptor (reset and decoupling caps on top). Might be bigger height wise, but will be the size you want. Power + ground + 6 i/o?

This is more what I want :D

post-2769-135135535489_thumb.jpg

I'm using 2 I/O pins for input power via the internal latching diodes. this seems to work well and I've been successful in programming, debugging, and outputting to a small buzzer using TA0.1 on one of the two remaining I/O pins.

What is the actual need for a 6 pin MSP micro controller? well I don't know. But it was fun to find out that it CAN be done.

This is more what I want :D

[attachment=0]P1230135.JPG[/attachment]

I'm using 2 I/O pins for input power via the internal latching diodes. this seems to work well and I've been successful in programming, debugging, and outputting to a small buzzer using TA0.1 on one of the two remaining I/O pins.

What is the actual need for a 6 pin MSP micro controller? well I don't know. But it was fun to find out that it CAN be done.

Sweet. How exactly did you power it like that? How much current will it be able to pull? Can the pins be used for input or output while powered like that? And if two are being used for power, and one assuming is reset, shouldn't you have 3 io available? Or is it two power, one reset, one sbw, 2 io?

6 pin msp430 = project brain for other i2c or spi chips. There is even i2c/spi to rs232 chips out there.

And I found some things from long ago in my brain:

http://scanlime.org/2008/09/using-an-av ... -rfid-tag/

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... controller

And unrelated but useful, Microchips 3.3v to 5v tips and tricks guide (found it while searching for the other two).:

http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles ... sBrchr.pdf

And I found some things from long ago in my brain:

http://scanlime.org/2008/09/using-an-av ... -rfid-tag/

That is the site that I first heard of powering a micro from it's I/O pins.

This is how I cut my IC.

post-2769-135135535515_thumb.png

I have left the programming interface intact. I'm not exactly sure if you could cut one more row of pins deep, of whether then you'd hit the silicon...I'm pretty sure it's a fairly tiny die in these parts, maybe only 1 pin spacing wide...I have a busted TSSOP package f2013 device I'll check later on.

power can be applied to any I/O pin except XOUT, Due to the external oscillator control circuitry. but this pin can be used as general purpose I/O once P2SEL = 0;

This leaves 2 I/O and the reset pin which can be used as a input pin.

I wonder if I could make a UART -> One wire adapter with this. :P

Have you ever burned an IC (as in with the trash in the burning barrel)? If you have, you would have seen that the manufacturers always put the silicon chip in the center of the package, with the pins fanning out on either side of a DIP package. So, if you cut off the lower six pins+package of a 20-pin DIP, you would completely miss the silicon chip, and it would still programmable and everything would still work. (that is, except the lower six bits of port 2)

*In the voice of the will it blend guy* Whooo! MCU Smoke, Don't breath this. (Really. Don't ever breath it. Nasty stuff)

A motorcycle/scooter brake light flash controller. Using the reset pin as an input you could have a tilt switch input for emergency stop detection, input from brake switch, and buffered output to brake light. :)

Quick stop flashes emergency light style, regular stop strobes when the light comes on initially then goes steady, or anything in between.