Sign in to follow this  
arun250691

its urgent,plese help, deadline is 26 December

hello everyone...im new to MSP430 and have chosen MSP430 MCU as the choice of microcontroller for my major project...

Ive worked on 8051 with Keil, and im good at C++.. so MSP430 seemed OK for me with all the available resources at 43oh.com..

but now the problem MSP430g2553 is out of stock and the IC with shipped with my launchpad has only a single port...

Ive already worked out the circuit..but now there aren't any option available for 2port MCU in the MSP430 line..(PDIP please)...

im running out of pins for the control lines, as im working on parallel lines (8 channels) to transfer data i have to dedicate a whole port just for communicating data to the Relay board and receiving analog inputs from the current transformers...is there a way i can do it with I2C.

Ive got to connect a 4X4 keyboard, a 20X4 LCD and I2C EEPROM with one MSP430G2553...with 2 ports it was easy but now im left with only single port options...

look at the file attached... i no longer have an extra port to connect the control pins of the LCD, so i have to work it out on I2C

please help me out!!!

would I2C work? is there any way i can connect my parallel 20X4 LCD with an I2C bus?

same with the 4X4 keypad.

this is important as i have to display my prototype at a global convention in the student pavilion...

same with the other MCU, i need to convert 6channels of analog data to digital, a 8 channel RELAY board and an I2C EEPROM to another MCU (MSP430) in the same prototype... can i use I2C here to communicate with the RELAY board or sequence the input from the analog inputs (current transformers)..

i will upload a circuit please help me out...

and if you guys are suggesting I2C please suggest some good tutorials on I2C too...

post-10465-135135529065_thumb.jpg

post-10465-13513552908_thumb.jpg

sorry for the crappy diagram...im really in a hurry...ive never really worked on I2C but im a quick learner..if someone can suggest how i can convert 8 bit parallel lines to I2C it would be really gratefull.. and please while suggesting a IC do suggest a good tutorial on the same with c or c++ coding...im allergic to assembly codes

So, I have to ask, is this a school project by chance?

I don't know if anyone here is willing to do your school work for you but we are happy to answer your questions and guide you in the most efficient way to go.

It seems that you have a lot of hardware in your design. I2C is a great way to talk to it all. There's a fellow on the board that is using it to network 6 msp430's together on his little robot car named henry.

So knowing that, I'm certain that you can accomplish your goals.

Concerning the I2C to 8 data lInes, there are chips out there that do this function. I think Microchip and TI have some. Google is your friend here. The chips are called "IO port expanders".

I hope that helps for a start. I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts once they wake up.

but now the problem MSP430g2553 is out of stock and the IC with shipped with my launchpad has only a single port...

Ive already worked out the circuit..but now there aren't any option available for 2port MCU in the MSP430 line..(PDIP please)...

did u check the "store" in 43oh? it is showing 20+ g2553s, depending on your location, it's not a bad idea to order a couple now as other solutions may also require u to get additional parts.

g2452 is also a good choice, 8k device w/ 2 full ports. not sure whether it's oos though.

same with the other MCU, i need to convert 6channels of analog data to digital, a 8 channel RELAY board and an I2C EEPROM to another MCU (MSP430) in the same prototype... can i use I2C here to communicate with the RELAY board or sequence the input from the analog inputs (current transformers)..

i will upload a circuit please help me out...

and if you guys are suggesting I2C please suggest some good tutorials on I2C too...

not sure from your diagram what interface the relay board requires (looks like parallel). if u need i2c (eeprom definitely needs it), the ti examples are good, they also have many different master and slave code examples that u can use right a way.

http://www.ti.com/lit/zip/slac463

http://www.ti.com/lit/zip/slac467

all the i2c examples are named msp430g2xx?_usi_??.c, u may need to change the "#include" to match your device.

most peripheral devices can share same io pins as long as they had a chip-select / enable line for traffic control.

some / many peripherals tolerate well 3.3v logic signals although they are design to work at 5v. most do not require a buffer.

you had limited time. my advice is to work separately on individual peripherals before binding everything together.

You need 6 pins to control LCD, 2 pins for I2C, 4 pins for the keypad (other 4 will be shared with LCD) So this is 2 too many for 2231. Does it have to be I2C memory, can you use SPI?

Can you use any additional parts? Like HC595 or HC164? If you use 164 for example, you will only need 3pins for LCD which means total of 9 for the whole thing.

thanks zeke, sipleavr and robG for your guidance....i know that the components are too much for a 20 pin MSP,

while goggling i came upon a idea to use serial in parallel out registers....

would it ease my job?

'll have to learn I2c and i require atleast a day to be able to be acquainted with the method as there will be more components than i have decided till now?

and one more thing... Ive purchased the Displays(20X4) and they require either a 4bit or 8bit parallel line...so i thought that serial in parallel out register with an output latch control would be gud...

what do you say?

:?

and i would like to add that this isnt a school project....

its a college majors...

the hardware doesn't quite looks like the college project level, but its the code inside that will make this successful , its called prioritized power distribution system !

past this problem i have to work on ADC for data acquisition and im relying on the inbuit ADC of msp430..

can anyone suggest me this

should i use a current transformer or a hall effect current sensor IC to measure current flowing over an AC line 220V, 50Hz

So how would you go about writing code for I2C?

I mean, I've seen many posts about this one sensor (BMP085) but I have no clue about how they wrote it or how to replicate it for another module

Hello pfactorial. The BMP085_MSP430G2553 project is done with the Grace plugin in CCS. It has a gui to show how to set up the hardware and interrupts. That i2c code works great with more than just the bmp085, I'm using it on a LSM303 compass as well.

There are plenty of examples, schematics, hardware pictures and such on this forum that meet all of your needs. Search around and then put the puzzle pieces together.