43oh

End of Year Stellaris Kits on Sale including Evalbot

[scrap]Hmm, very tempted to get the evalbot+book kit, I still have to pick a christmas gift for myself.

Does anyone here have the bot and book? If so, are the book and the examples in it understandable to a relative noob to kernel stuff? Because i'd like to learn more on the subject, but I am slightly worried I might be taking on a bit much.[/scrap]

EDIT: Ah what the heck, might as well just dive in. Going for it :)

I couldnt resist the bot either. hoping the kids like it :angel:

Hmm, "The kids", yeah sure... ;)

And no kids coming near mine, but then again, i don't have any (yet).

First plan for it (after the regular playing with firmware, audio output, and oled screen ofcourse) is to make a platform for it with a bit stronger motors, stronger battery pack, and bigger wheels. From what i've seen in video's so far, the standard bot can only drive around effectively on extremly flat surfaces.

The chips in the motor control sample kit i received today should be quite useful for that task though :)

Sounds good Marco. Good luck with getting some kids, careful what you wish for....

They think I make robots already, as that is how I started out explaining it.

I would like to get the Zigbee modules working with some kind of gui or web server

Lots of space onboard to do incredible things with the code.

How bout a wireless camera as well?

I havent really looked at those motor driver chips yet. the integrated ones on the bot may be sufficient to drive larger motors, given some voltage. I have been using the ti 8833 with great success, tiny little guy can handle 2A....

yes it's pretty cool. After playing with it i was compelled to try to program it a little. I was not able to get to the core. I want to use the kernel ultimately. I did have success downloading the CCS version DVD, and installing the newer version off it. Got the sound demo to work. This thing reallly has lots of buttons and whistles. I am going to try the IAR documentation to try and put the uC-OS kernel back next.

yes it's pretty cool. After playing with it i was compelled to try to program it a little. I was not able to get to the core. I want to use the kernel ultimately. I did have success downloading the CCS version DVD, and installing the newer version off it. Got the sound demo to work. This thing reallly has lots of buttons and whistles. I am going to try the IAR documentation to try and put the uC-OS kernel back next.

I'm working with the uC-OS now, using the book as a guideline. But really only scratching the surface atm. Trying to combine reading the book while also trying the experiments.

But managed to create a basic task at least, to do as i bid (that is: "display message" atm ;) )

First Experiment and Small Holiday Greeting

I'm working with the uC-OS now

how are you debugging? I am a little lost about this. The book does not mention anything about loading the OS, or gaining access to the file system. Can you shed some light?

Errmmm, first going to quote from my own message:

But really only scratching the surface atm.

What i did was get the files that can be downloaded at the same place as the PDF, here

Then i loaded one of the tutorial workspaces with example code into IAR, and started hacking away. For that latest video i only added a new task that displays messages to an existing motor control example project. Did learn a lot about creating tasks and how they work together though.

Really, i learn pretty fast, and am not afraid to dive into new stuff, but basically im still a noob. So not sure I'm the one that should be giving advice ;)