43oh

Are my onboard LEDs dead?

Hey all,

I got my launchpad a few days ago, one of the new rev 1.5 ones even, and have been having a fun/incredibly frustrating time trying to learn C and get it to do things. So far my specialty has been in making the LED blink at various rates, and I'm making headway into using buttons.

In any case, earlier today I dug out my old breadboarding stuff - jumpers and various components, and decided to try hooking it up to the launchpad. I took it off USB, unjumpered the two LEDs, ran three wires - one from GND, one from P1.0, and one from P1.6. The LEDs on the breadboard obviously shared the ground, and were in series with one 4.7k ohm resistor each. I ran my lovely blinky-LED program, and everything happened as it should. I then got tired of all the space it was taking up, and unplugged it from USB, disconnected the three lines connecting the boards, and reconnected the jumpers enabling the onboard LEDs and.. nothing!

To the best of my knowledge, there was no short - nothing stopped working suddenly (while I had it operating) and there was no nasty smell at any point. I tried reconnecting my breadboard but that doesn't work either. What on earth is going on? Did I seriously kill this thing that easily?!

For what it's worth, this is the code I'm using to blink the LEDs:

#include 

void main(void)
{
 volatile unsigned int i;
 WDTCTL = WDTPW + WDTHOLD;

for (;
 {
P1OUT ^= 0x40;
P1OUT ^= 0x01;
for (i = 10000; i > 0; i--);
 }
}

I'm using CCSv5 to build, and it's not reporting any errors whatsoever when I build the code or when I send it to the launchpad. I can start/stop/pause debugging just as I could before, with no issues - other than the fact that nothing actually seems to be happening.

I'd be be very grateful if someone could give me an idea as per what's going on.. if I killed it.. fine, I can get another easily enough, but I'm mostly just very surprised and dumbfounded.

Thanks,

John

Checking for the obvious, did you put the jumpers back on... the wrong way? They should iirc, be parallel to the msp430 dip chip, not perpendicular. Double check that (trust me, the other day I put a cell sim card in backwards and it took me 15 minutes and 3 reboots to figure it out)

Also, you say the breadboard ones arn't working either? Check the outputs with a volt meter to make sure, and if anything, you have the other msp that shipped with the launchpad you can swap and test with.

Yup, the jumpers are correctly oriented.

And I think it may have corrected itself? Sorry to create all the fuss, I think I was panicking a bit and overreacted. I created a brand new project in CCS, used different code, and rebooted my computer and...

As far as I can tell.. it works now? Yikes. I feel like a fool. :roll:

Works with both the onboard LEDs and my breadboard, just as it had before.

And I think it may have corrected itself? Sorry to create all the fuss, I think I was panicking a bit and overreacted. I created a brand new project in CCS, used different code, and rebooted my computer and...

The usb driver is finicky. Especially if you disconnected and reconnected whil ccs was still open.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the code you posted at least I'm not sure how it could work. GPIOs get set to input at reset, and your code is missing:

P1DIR = BIT0 + BIT6;

which will set the direction of the pins to output.