Sign in to follow this  
rockets4kids

New chips shipping with the LaunchPad?

The MSP430G2553 chips are backordered...would this affect the Launchpad 1.5 receiving rate...?

It shouldn't. I imagine they reserved the Launchpad chips from some batch earlier in the year. For what it's worth, I ordered mine on the 22nd and got it today. It's a 1.5!

I just got a 1.5 too. I also ordered a Capacitive Touch Booster which needs the male headers on the LP. I can see why they standardized on headers. It makes booster packs easier.

Yes agree with Fred that a presoldered header is more convenient especially for someone new to the mcu and electronics world. Im bewbie so it's of little weight for my opinion to the debate whether it should be male or female header, but....

But to me, the previous unsoldered version with the cap touch pack is very meaningful to me... It is the first time in my life to solder something :)

I still remember after ordering the captouch pack i knew it is inevitable to solder the lp, so i went out and looked for a solder iron. I guess it is not hard to remember the day getting our hands of one? I looked shop after shop, have no idea what soldering is actually like, and finally got one, wondering all the way home with it will it work??? Hehehe

Thankfully this LP captouch thing somehow helped me with a pyschological hurdle of some sort.. before that i always tried to avoid reading products description beyond "soldering is required".

It would be nice if they officially announced the new chip change. I'm guessing it would probably get

TI a lot of attention. My Jan-18 order came with a Rev 1.5 board. It feels shiny and new. OK, I think

it is time to tell all your friends the MSP430 water is fine, come on in!

-rick

Ordered mine 19/01/2012. Received them today (24/01/2012) all 3 are rev 1.5 boards. I kind of like how the headers are soldered on by default. I wonder how much extra that cost's them...

Also they are a lot more shiny than the original 1.4 board I bought back in August 2010, they had alot of kind of powdery reside, likely from the cleaning process used.

Interesting how they are not re-enforcing the front two USB tabs like on the older ones, I wonder if they decided it wasn't worth it. Or if they're strong enough as is.