43oh

How to solder this?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok i did it over the holidays! Filled the solder iron with all new batteries and the soldering is much better. Also applied some a little tin on the pcb as advised. The first attempt was a disaster th

You could liquefy the rosin with some isopropyl alcohol in a small bottle.   Use a Q-tip to dispense it.

Clean it with alcohol and/or use flux.

Posted Images

Thank you everyone for the reply and advice.

I rushed to some hardware store after work but since i dont know what its name is in our language, i ended up got a small can of cream like substance that the shopkeeper said is for soldering. Its name, translated, is pine something (yes my username hehe). Reading the flux page on wiki saw something similar pine sth so hope i can flux, flux, and. Flux moar soon

Zeke: yes my solder tool is dry battery powered with 6W as far as i remember.. maybe not hot enough? I'll post pic when get back home.

Again thank you to all for helping :)

I rushed to some hardware store after work but since i dont know what its name is in our language, i ended up got a small can of cream like substance that the shopkeeper said is for soldering. Its name, translated, is pine something (yes my username hehe). Reading the flux page on wiki saw something similar pine sth so hope i can flux, flux, and. Flux moar soon

Rosin. I've never seen that in a cream-like form (only solid), if it's really for electric (or even plumbing) soldering, it may very well be corrosive like hell -- wait for someone to wake up and judge by the pictures you post in the meantime ;).

If it's a small enough can (that would make it impractical for say plumbing work), it might be ok, but better safe than sorry.

Zeke: yes my solder tool is dry battery powered with 6W as far as i remember.. maybe not hot enough? I'll post pic when get back home.

Tip will matter more. You have to heat all of a pad at once, that's why a sharp, pointy tip will not do too much good, and that's why you need something bigger, like a chisel- or bevel-shaped one.

I have no idea what this resin is :). Any chance there is some standards classification (DIN8511/DIN EN-29454, ISO9454 or JEDEC J-STD-004) printed on the can somewhere? That could be a start in figuring out what this is. "StarTex PA-01" did not get me too far...

As for your tip, it definitely looks like a fine pointy one. You'll have to wiggle and juggle a bit to make it happen -- try melting a bit of a solder on the pad, then use that bit to act as a thermal mass while you add some more solder. There will be a very fine line between "just hot enough to melt some more solder" and "oops, now it's smoking". Use the side of the cone too (but with care!).