Sign in to follow this  
gwdeveloper

SimpliciTI RF wireless for the Launchpad

With the group buy for CC2500 radios happening soon, I though everyone might want easy access to software and get up and running with wireless super fast.

The conversion was pretty simple to get SimpliciTI running on the MSP430G2553. It uses UCBO on P1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7. P2.6 and 2.7 were used for GDO0 and GDO2 but these can be changed if needed. The led on P1.0 is used for a connection indicator. Of course, the jumper on 1.6 must be removed.

Unzip the attached file to your SimpliciTI\bsp\boards folders.

eg:

C:\Texas Instruments\SimpliciTI-CCS-1.1.1\Components\bsp\boards\LP_G2553

It will work with MDFLY's CC2500 radio http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_52&products_id=880&zenid=hqoogv1qn7ler204vb7vjkior3, the group buy CC2500 radio http://www.43oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1873, and TI's RF2500T http://www.ti.com/tool/ez430-rf2500t.

I'm working on a demo project to post here as well as a short tutorial on getting a basic SimpliciTI project started in CCS.

On a side note, this will not work in CCSv5.1 yet. The new compiler creates numerous Syntax errors. It compiles and works just fine with CCSv4.

EDIT: After changing the optimization level and ignoring the syntax errors, it compiles and runs just fine from CCS v5.1!

LP_G2553.zip

Not sure of the exact range but I've been getting around 120 feet with the RF2500T. I'd love to get 300ft but I don't think that will happen with the small PCB antennas.

I haven't posted the tutorial yet as I've made some changes to simpliciTI for the LP. It's now using UCA0 to free up UCB0 for I2C. Just assembled the prototype using a MDFLY CC2500 module to test transmitting barometric pressure and humidity. If this works out, it will be super sweet to make a board with a G2553, CC2500, HIH-5031 and BMP085. It will solve a major issue for my sensor array.

[attachment=0]proto.jpg[/attachment]

Once the tutorial is finished, I'll post it with very simple TX and RX demos. So far, the RX runs on the EXP430F5529, RF2500T and the LP G2553. TX is only set up to run on the G2553 as each of the mcus use different Timers which aren't in use on the RX end.

I doubt anyone will be interested in this board as a Booster Pack but after I make a few revisions, the files will be posted as well.

That's a Honeywell HIH-5031. It's an analog humidity sensor designed to work between 2.7 and 3.3v. The sensor caused a bit of issue after install. The tab on the body is not -Ve, it is tied to +Ve so I had to cut a trace. It's not mentioned in the datasheet.

And so far so good on the hardware. It's transmitting the humidity data with no issues. I put 2 blue leds for indicators. 1 is for connection, the other is for data transfer. Soldering the 0603 leds was a bit tough.

This pcb was designed around the MDFLY CC2500, I'll have to make another for the group buy CC2500. Using UCA0 not only freed UCB0 for I2C but also made it easy to keep the entire board 1 layer.

Very cool GW,

You have tied the idea together elegantly. Having once been an indoor gardener, I remember the condensation and corrosion often were an consideration. Is it possible to mount the humidistat at the end of a wire?

KB

Thanks KB. Yes, the HIH-5031 can be moved to the end of a wire. This board was built as a quick prototype and won't be exposed to the elements. Since it worked so well, I'm going to design a pcb with a G2553 on-board. It will have the BMP085, CC2500 radio and power supply included. It will be in a sealed case with the HIH-5031 exposed through a silicone plug.

Sorry for a stupid question, but where can find the attachment (LP_G2553.zip) mentioned in the first post? I could only see the file name without any links...

bluehash,

The path "C:\Texas Instruments\SimpliciTI-CCS-1.1.1\Components\bsp\boards\" was created when I installed the SimpliciTI package. But the folder "LP_G2553" is not there (not part of the official SimpliciTI package). The first post above says "Unzip the attached file to your SimpliciTI\bsp\boards folders.", but I don't see any attachments...

So, my question is not "where to find the file on my PC" but rather "where do I download the attachment LP_G2553.zip from?". As I mentioned in my original post, I don't see any attachments but only the file name... not sure if the attachment was deleted or if it's not visible to me (permissions???) or if the link got "killed" by some ad blocker/script blocker in my browser...

Thank you!