Sign in to follow this  
GeekDoc

Interesting project and comparison to AVR chip

Found this interesting blog post. Sorry, it's on another site. Sorry, bluehash. :?

He uses the internal temp sensor and a phototransistor to monitor his 'fridge. The whole thing communicates over a Blue SMiRF modem! :D

He goes on to make a very fair comparison against a comparable AVR model. Worth a look.

interesting read, i am working on a similar project. i am using a hoperf rfm12b module ($6) instead of the bluesmirf and get decent results.

the comparison of the G2231 w/ the tiny24 is based on similar technical spec. i.e. pin count, memory size. but the tiny24 is not that popular, just google "attiny2313 projects" and "attiny24 projects" and u can see. a more real world comparison would be w/ the tiny2313 where most avr fans are using.

i would say the G2231 have my liking, mainly on being 16bit and inexpensive. and adopting the launchpad from avr development is effortless to me (guess mainly because i am on linux, w/ some compiler and tools). i mostly work w/ attiny2313 on small projects. what i found

. attiny2313 does not have ADC, while G2231 has 10 bit ADC, now i do not need to use a atmega8 for small ADC projects.

. G2231 ADC is "fast" and versatile, able to setup ranges, etc.

. G2231 is inexpensive.

however, there is one big thing missing on the G2231 where tiny2313 has, a hardware uart. i've been messing around w/ launchpad's various uart implementations and cannot get decent results. it's reliable at low speed, but at higher speed i am still having a lot of problems. doing it via software also means that you have less timer / interrupt resources for other things.

Found this interesting blog post. Sorry, it's on another site. Sorry, bluehash. :?

No at all. Thanks for submitting. You may post as many external links as you want. There are tons of external links over here. This will go on the blog.

i've been messing around w/ launchpad's various uart implementations and cannot get decent results. it's reliable at low speed, but at higher speed i am still having a lot of problems.

Are you using the DCO other than the 1MHz calibrated frequency?

i went to 9600 at 8mhz. haven't tried 9600 at 16mhz, need some adjustment to the timer_a interrupt timing to get it work properly. that's about the limit (by the launchpad usb-uart 3410 circuitry). and with a ca-42 cable (pl2303 based) i am able to do 57600bps.