43oh

Anaren TI CC110L RF AIR Booster Pack

I too have received two sets (4 boards total) of this booster pack as well as some of the upgraded Ver 1.5 launchpads. The latest 1.5 launchpads make using this booster pack much easier since one needs to only pull two jumpers and re-install them in the horizontal vs vertical direction on the RXD and TXD pins rather than making up a special crossover jumper in the shape of an X for the older version.

The supplied demo program works just fine, and I am able to get excellent range indoors between floors and through walls in my house. As they say, "your mileage may vary".

What I have been unable to find is much help on how to program the board myself, has anyone successfully done this? Can this be cone in CCS or only in IAR?

If anyone knows of a simple "Hello World" type example for getting this going I would really appreciate a link.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's an updated CCS project for the Anaren Air Booster Pack. It's quite obvious they're not familiar with CCS. Included directories are very vague and leave header includes looking like "../../../HA

I was similarly frustrated with Anaren but especially TI for a short while, until I realized that TI actually have some simple example RF code out there in nice BSD licenses. That's the code that http

Hi all,   Anaren has released an update of their firmware and its now also available for CCs   http://www.anaren.com/content/File/AIR/ ... upport.cfm   cheers   Cor   EDIT: just checked the

Posted Images

What I have been unable to find is much help on how to program the board myself, has anyone successfully done this? Can this be cone in CCS or only in IAR?

If anyone knows of a simple "Hello World" type example for getting this going I would really appreciate a link.

First place to start would be the CC110L datasheet:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cc110l.pdf

You will program the chip using SPI to set registers, and read / write data. Too bad there aren't any

samples with the value line chip. The path of least resistance with these chips is to use the

Anaren API. It would be interesting to figure out the legalese with that API to see if it is possible to

post self developed code. It seems like a reasonable thing to me. People post their Win32 code

all the time which also happens to be written for a non open source API.

Another approach might be to look at the examples for the CC1101 chip. I'm not sure if they are applicable

but it might be something to look at:

http://www.ti.com/litv/zip/swrc021f

-rick

From comparing the datasheets and register addresses, the CC110L and CC1101 are pretty similar. You should be able to run the SimpliciTI wireless stack with no issues. It compiles fine in CCS.

There is a Launchpad/MSP430G2553 BSP for SimpliciTI at http://www.43oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1953. If you follow that tutorial, just change the predefined symbol from MRFI_CC2500 to MRFI_CC1101.

For a very basic hardware init code, there is TI's CC1100-2500 HAL that would only need minor changes to run on the Launchpad. It runs great on the Fraunchpad, Ez430-rf2500t and EXP430F5529 boards.

My AIR Booster packs should be arriving today. I'll post a success or fail for CCS this evening. It would be sweet to have the Chronos communicating with the Launchpad.

Hi,

I also obtained this boosterpack and have had problems running them. I have had good contacts with the people of TI and Anaren and currently Anaren is working on a solution to have us use the boosterstack software in the CCS environment.

You can read more about this on the Anaren website (cant post a direct link due to the fact I am a new user).

kind regards

Cor Berrevoets

Hi,

I also obtained this boosterpack and have had problems running them. I have had good contacts with the people of TI and Anaren and currently Anaren is working on a solution to have us use the boosterstack software in the CCS environment.

You can read more about this on the Anaren website (cant post a direct link due to the fact I am a new user).

kind regards

Cor Berrevoets

Looks like This is the link you are looking for..

AIR BoosterPack modules come pre-flashed with the firmware required for out-of-the-box operation. The current version of firmware (released December, 2011) is designed to work seamlessly with IAR Systems Embedded Workbench versions 5.2 through 5.4. In January 2012, the BoosterStack software will be updated to also support Texas Instruments Code Composer Studio. (We apologize if this two-tier release results in any convenience for you: If you would like to be notified of the second release, please send an email to AIR@anaren.com with "code compiler" in the subject line.)

Bummer.. I do all my dev in CCS.. but then I haven't had time to mess about with the 430 for a month or two and there is no end in sight atm :(.. so by the time I get to play.. maybe they will have released the CCS version...

I personally will just be going ahead starting this weekend and using the CC1100 software that TI released and seeing how it may or may not need modification to work with the CC110L.

Anaren is just the middle man, with a "module" but TI is still the source.

Jim

I personally will just be going ahead starting this weekend and using the CC1100 software that TI released and seeing how it may or may not need modification to work with the CC110L.

Anaren is just the middle man, with a "module" but TI is still the source.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Please keep us posted of your progress.

kind regards

Cor

I am admitted noob at SPI and all this, but I did end up getting the SimpliciTI stuff working (as far as I can tell). I had to do a couple of things, though.

1) If you are in the US, you need to change your radio cofiguration using SmartRF Studio.

2) Don't install your crystal, the air booster uses XIN/XOUT for SPI. You can get around it with jumper changes and cutting traces, but it is a pain.

3) On the AIR booster for JP3 (CSN) connect the pads for position 3 (otherwise it wants to use XOUT as CSN, this doesn't really work with simplicity because it is setup for all of the SPI to be on Port1)

4) In mrfi_boards_defs.h change GDO2 to BIT 0 on Port 1 instead of BIT 7 on Port 2. You have to change the bit number and all the port information too. Each line for GDO2 has a change in it.

I am admitted noob at SPI and all this, but I did end up getting the SimpliciTI stuff working (as far as I can tell). I had to do a couple of things, though.

1) If you are in the US, you need to change your radio cofiguration using SmartRF Studio.

2) Don't install your crystal, the air booster uses XIN/XOUT for SPI. You can get around it with jumper changes and cutting traces, but it is a pain.

3) On the AIR booster for JP3 (CSN) connect the pads for position 3 (otherwise it wants to use XOUT as CSN, this doesn't really work with simplicity because it is setup for all of the SPI to be on Port1)

4) In mrfi_boards_defs.h change GDO2 to BIT 0 on Port 1 instead of BIT 7 on Port 2. You have to change the bit number and all the port information too. Each line for GDO2 has a change in it.

HI,

Can you share your changes in more detail with clear sections of the original sourcecode and the changes applied ?

Cor

The changes need to be made in the your SimpliciTI smartrf_CC1101.h file. For me the file was located in the following path:

c:\Texas Instruments\SimpliciTI-CCS-1.1.1\Components\mrfi\smartrf\CC1101\smartrf_CC1101.h

SmartRF Studio will export your register settings and you can copy and paste them in this file after remove the settings that are in there. You need to make sure that you select all the registers and not just the default registers that are selected.

These are fairly self explanatory, I believe.

Original code from mrfi_board_defs.h:

/* ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*                                      GDO2 Pin Configuration
* ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*/

#define __mrfi_GDO2_BIT__                     7
#define MRFI_CONFIG_GDO2_PIN_AS_INPUT()       st( P2SEL &= ~BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* clear pin special function default */
#define MRFI_GDO2_PIN_IS_HIGH()               (P2IN & BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__))

#define MRFI_GDO2_INT_VECTOR                  PORT2_VECTOR
#define MRFI_ENABLE_GDO2_INT()                st( P2IE  |=  BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* atomic operation */
#define MRFI_DISABLE_GDO2_INT()               st( P2IE  &= ~BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* atomic operation */
#define MRFI_GDO2_INT_IS_ENABLED()             (  P2IE  &   BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__) )
#define MRFI_CLEAR_GDO2_INT_FLAG()            st( P2IFG &= ~BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* atomic operation */
#define MRFI_GDO2_INT_FLAG_IS_SET()            (  P2IFG &   BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__) )
#define MRFI_CONFIG_GDO2_RISING_EDGE_INT()    st( P2IES &= ~BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* atomic operation */
#define MRFI_CONFIG_GDO2_FALLING_EDGE_INT()   st( P2IES |=  BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* atomic operation */

New Code for mrfi_board_defs.h:

/* ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*                                      GDO2 Pin Configuration
* ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*/

#define __mrfi_GDO2_BIT__                     0
#define MRFI_CONFIG_GDO2_PIN_AS_INPUT()       st( P1SEL &= ~BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* clear pin special function default */
#define MRFI_GDO2_PIN_IS_HIGH()               (P1IN & BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__))

#define MRFI_GDO2_INT_VECTOR                  PORT1_VECTOR
#define MRFI_ENABLE_GDO2_INT()                st( P1IE  |=  BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* atomic operation */
#define MRFI_DISABLE_GDO2_INT()               st( P1IE  &= ~BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* atomic operation */
#define MRFI_GDO2_INT_IS_ENABLED()             (  P1IE  &   BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__) )
#define MRFI_CLEAR_GDO2_INT_FLAG()            st( P1IFG &= ~BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* atomic operation */
#define MRFI_GDO2_INT_FLAG_IS_SET()            (  P1IFG &   BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__) )
#define MRFI_CONFIG_GDO2_RISING_EDGE_INT()    st( P1IES &= ~BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* atomic operation */
#define MRFI_CONFIG_GDO2_FALLING_EDGE_INT()   st( P1IES |=  BV(__mrfi_GDO2_BIT__); ) /* atomic operation */

I hope this helps.

Hi,

Just checked the documentation from Anaren (http://www.anaren.com/content/File/Boos ... Manual.pdf)

on P51 it stats for JP3 (CSN) for pad 3 "Use this setting for CSN if the crystal is used and UART functionality is required.

Thats contrary to your remark on 2) "Dont install your chrystal". I guess this is intentional ?

regards

Cor

While it might in theory effect the operation, one of my LP's have the 32K crystal installed, and well I failed to look at the pin out for the booster, but communication isn't actually effected by it when using the demo application right out of the box without any modifications to the booster pack. :D

And yes my crystal was soldered correctly as I did the LP Workshop and used their test code to make sure that I soldered it as intended. ;)

Jim