43oh

Eclipse plugin for mspdebug and msp430-gcc

The user you are running as, should be a member of the "plugdev"-group.

Im in plugdev group

I don't have any idea what else i can check. For instance when i change plugdev to my ubuntu name (group) i had comunicate:rf2500: failed to open RF2500 device

rf2500: warning: can't detach kernel driver: Operation not permitted

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys, I've finally hacked together a plugin for Eclipse that allows the msp430-gcc toolchain to be used from within Eclipse more easily. I must warn you that this is by no means finished, but I wa

It's seem that I finally succeeded in building a plugin for Eclipse, which contains compiled versions of GCC, GDB, and mspdebug, and also integrates these somewhat into Eclipse. Currently, I would str

I finally managed to get time to make a new release of the MSP430Eclipse plugin. As previously, it is available from http://eclipse.xpg.dk via the Eclipse "install new software" dialog. There are two

Posted Images

skirki wrote:

[rf2500]

I can't it ignore because i can't upload data :(

rf2500: failed to open RF2500 device

rf2500: warning: can't detach kernel driver: Operation not permitted

rf2500: can't claim interface: Operation not permitted

rf2500: failed to open RF2500 device

• 2 weeks later...
hi, i had found the follow link:

http://blog.wikifotos.org/2010/11/15/ms ... in-ubuntu/

i installed mspdebug once again, and now i can use mspdebug (using sudo) but i can't run gdbserver with eclipse.

Command line is enough for me, but maybe this will help to solve this stupid error ;)

Good to hear that you are making progress. However, I'm really surprised that you need sudo for mspdebug to work...

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to report that I had some issues getting the debugger to work on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit.

The version shipped with the tool bundle was failing with a "giving up waiting for mspdebug" error. After this, mspdebug would sit active in the background blocking port 2000 from being used by subsequent invocations.

I ended up compiling the git version of mspdebug and copying the resulting binary into the tool binary directory. After this, the debugger seems to work OK.

Great job putting this together!

I just wanted to report that I had some issues getting the debugger to work on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit.

The version shipped with the tool bundle was failing with a "giving up waiting for mspdebug" error. After this, mspdebug would sit active in the background blocking port 2000 from being used by subsequent invocations.

I ended up compiling the git version of mspdebug and copying the resulting binary into the tool binary directory. After this, the debugger seems to work OK.

Ahh, thank you so very much for that bug report. I have had a few people reporting it, but I never had time to pinpoint the problem. And now, you just did much of the job for me, thanks! :clap:

I have not been working on the plugin for quite some time now, as I have been engaged with other project. This week, however, I am slowly starting to work on it again. I can't promise when the next release will be made, but my best guess is in a couple of weeks.

Great job putting this together!

Thanks. It's a pleasure to contribute to this community.

• 3 weeks later...

It's around midnight now, and things seem to be working. So here it is: A new msp430-eclipse release.

The most significant changes are:

• [*:2utjrf72]-Added Windows support.
    [*:2utjrf72]-Added dependency on "Target Management Terminal".
    [*:2utjrf72]-Add .cpp as C++ extension.
    [*:2utjrf72]-Support for FRAM board (by using a newer version of mspdebug).
    [*:2utjrf72]-Fix a bug: mspdebug fails to startup successfully for debugging session.
    [*:2utjrf72]-Group MCU List to make selection easier.
    [*:2utjrf72]-Remove usage of stdbuf.
    [*:2utjrf72]-Simplify tool selection by adding an "Activate"-button to the tool manager.
    [*:2utjrf72]-Add support for static libraries (project type).
    [*:2utjrf72]-Kill mspdebug when debugger is stopped.
    [*:2utjrf72]-"tilib" to the mspdebug driver selection.

I have updated the first post of this thread as well. Please try it out and let me know what you think.

And now for something completely different: Sleep :D

Oh, by the way: Thank you everyone for your feedback and comments, they have been most valuable.

/Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Cool...but there is nothing to activate and I can't add /usr/bin/msp430-gcc or /usr/bin/mspgcc. So it looks like it still does not work with Debian.

Ahh, well, I guess it's a case of missing documentation. If you want to use tools from the system, things *should* just work without doing anything. Else you can go to the Eclipse settings and select "MSP430". Here you should select "System tools" for all tools.

If that does not work, please let me know.

Cheers,

Paul

Yep, that's what I mean. System Tools does not work, it never did for me. No target selection, no nothing if I select system tools. Trying to add the system tools with the tool manager does not work either. I click 'Add' and point at /usr/bin/mspdebug and I can single, double, triple, quadruple, left, right, whatever click - nothing happens, the file browser window stays open.

Yep, that's what I mean. System Tools does not work, it never did for me. No target selection, no nothing if I select system tools. Trying to add the system tools with the tool manager does not work either. I click 'Add' and point at /usr/bin/mspdebug and I can single, double, triple, quadruple, left, right, whatever click - nothing happens, the file browser window stays open.

Ahh. Not good.

What version of mspgcc and mspdebug do you have installed?

/Paul