xpg

Eclipse plugin for mspdebug and msp430-gcc

First of all, sorry for my long response time!

Hi,

I have a problem with the installation. I don't understand this:

"Extract the package in an appropriate location ($HOME, for instance), and go to Eclipse (with the MSP430Eclipse plugin installed), and from the menu select MSP430->Tool Manager. Click the "Add..."-button, and browse to the tool-package directory. Select the tool-chain and press the "Activate"-button in order to tell Eclipse to use it."

I have the msp430 toolchain for mac but i don't know the exactly place to install. I think later, when i will make this, I will can select  tools in msp430 preference in eclipse.

So, have you installed the MSP430 toolchain from the package from xpg.dk-website or from somewhere else? The only advantage of the package is that you don't have to setup the path to each individual tool manually or have them in your $PATH. If you know where the binaries are on your system, but they are not in your $PATH, you can go to the menu-bar and select "Window->Preferences". In the "MSP430" configuration you will be able to select the location of each tool.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul

I don't know how relevant this is but TI has brought mspgcc support to their IDE: http://www.ti.com/tool/msp430-3p-gcc-mspgcc-tpde

While it's still not a clean Eclipse installation it allows usage of GCC code and probably easy Energia integration.

Also: http://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/msp430blog/archive/2013/12/09/you-beta-believe-it-gcc-and-ccsv6.aspx

If an IDE is what you are looking for, GCC is now integrated in the recent BETA release of Code Composer Studio 6 as well. This means that if the size and speed and optimization support offered by the TI compiler are unnecessary for your application, you can choose to compile with GCC and use Code Composer Studio for free, without any code size limitation!

In case this isn

I don't know how relevant this is but TI has brought mspgcc support to their IDE: http://www.ti.com/tool/msp430-3p-gcc-mspgcc-tpde

While it's still not a clean Eclipse installation it allows usage of GCC code and probably easy Energia integration.

Also: http://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/msp430blog/archive/2013/12/09/you-beta-believe-it-gcc-and-ccsv6.aspx

If an IDE is what you are looking for, GCC is now integrated in the recent BETA release of Code Composer Studio 6 as well. This means that if the size and speed and optimization support offered by the TI compiler are unnecessary for your application, you can choose to compile with GCC and use Code Composer Studio for free, without any code size limitation!

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten better coverage.

I haven't tried this, still using this msp430 plugin.

Somehow I completely missed that piece of news. I have to try that out as soon as possible. It's really cool that they are working on supporting the GCC tools in CCS.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to jump away from the fairly minimalistic clean Eclipse approach, but I have to try CCS and see how I like it.

What OS/Distribution are you running? 

siduction (Debian sid) still. All system tools are in /usr/bin and I can call them from my standard user account.

oppa@oppa-hex:~$ inxi -v3
System:    Host: oppa-hex Kernel: 3.12-5.towo-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Gnome 3.8.4 (Gtk 2.24.22) Distro: siduction 13.1.0 Firestarter - gnome - (201305202254)
Machine:   System: Gigabyte product: N/A
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: 970A-DS3P version: x.x Bios: American Megatrends version: F1 date: 04/08/2013
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 42191.7 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 3500.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz 5: 1400.00 MHz 6: 1400.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.5 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 94:de:80:7f:8b:10
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (17.6% used) 1: model: TOSHIBA_DT01ACA1 
Info:      Processes: 195 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 2645.6/16020.6MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45) inxi: 1.9.17 
oppa@oppa-hex:~$ echo $PATH
/home/oppa/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
oppa@oppa-hex:~$ which mspdebug
/usr/bin/mspdebug
oppa@oppa-hex:~$ which msp430-gcc
/usr/bin/msp430-gcc
oppa@oppa-hex:~$ which msp430-gdb
/usr/bin/msp430-gdb

At first happy new year to all.

Unfortunately I have problems to make this work. I have installed eclipse indigo, after that I have added the site to install the plugin under eclipse. The plugin shows in the menu, I have then downloaded the toolchain from your site, after that added the toolchain under eclipse and press activate. Then the problems start. I can make a new project, but I can't select an target mcu, also later under the project settings the fields are empty. 

And if I would compile a following statement come from eclipse:

**** Build of configuration Debug for project Blink ****

make all 
Building file: ../blink.c
Invoking: MSP430 C Compiler
/Users/Early09/msp430-toolchain-mac_os_x-x86_64-2.2/bin/msp430-gcc-wrapper -O0 -g -Wall -std=gnu89 -c -o "blink.o" "../blink.c"
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libmpfr.4.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/Early09/msp430-toolchain-mac_os_x-x86_64-2.2/bin/../libexec/gcc/msp430/4.7.0/cc1
  Reason: Incompatible library version: cc1 requires version 6.0.0 or later, but libmpfr.4.dylib provides version 5.0.0
msp430-gcc: internal compiler error: Trace/BPT trap: 5 (program cc1)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
make: *** [blink.o] Error 4

**** Build Finished ****

I use mac os x 10.9.1.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edit: I have copied the libmpfr.4.dylib file from the toolchain to /opt/local/lib. Now I can compile my blink led code. But now I can't upload the binary to the target. After a new start, I can now also select a mcu from the list. I am using the launchpad with the g2231 mcu. Which driver must I choose under MSPDebug and Drivers? I became a error message: 

/Users/Early09/msp430-toolchain-mac_os_x-x86_64-2.2/bin/mspdebug-wrapper: line 7:  1263 Trace/BPT trap: 5       `dirname $0`/mspdebug "$@"
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libreadline.6.2.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/Early09/msp430-toolchain-mac_os_x-x86_64-2.2/bin/mspdebug
  Reason: image not found
/Users/Early09/msp430-toolchain-mac_os_x-x86_64-2.2/bin/mspdebug-wrapper: line 7:  1263 Trace/BPT trap: 5       `dirname $0`/mspdebug "$@"

I ran it through strace, does this help ?

Somewhat. I really can't explain what is happening yet, but I'm going to try and reproduce it.

At first happy new year to all.

A happy new year to you too.

Edit: I have copied the libmpfr.4.dylib file from the toolchain to /opt/local/lib. Now I can compile my blink led code. But now I can't upload the binary to the target. After a new start, I can now also select a mcu from the list. I am using the launchpad with the g2231 mcu. Which driver must I choose under MSPDebug and Drivers? I became a error message: 

dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libreadline.6.2.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/Early09/msp430-toolchain-mac_os_x-x86_64-2.2/bin/mspdebug
  Reason: image not found

Unfortunately, I don't have access to an OS X machine, so I can't try it out myself, but I will see if I can come up with something that might help you.

A happy new year to you too.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to an OS X machine, so I can't try it out myself, but I will see if I can come up with something that might help you.

Thank you for your response. I can now compile and flash to a g2231 mcu with the launchpad. But I haven't changed anything. I have restart my machine several times, I have tried it again and it works. But the thing is I doesn't know what have been changed now, that this is working. 

Thank you for your response. I can now compile and flash to a g2231 mcu with the launchpad. But I haven't changed anything. I have restart my machine several times, I have tried it again and it works. But the thing is I doesn't know what have been changed now, that this is working. 

Very strange. Please let me know if you run into trouble again.

siduction (Debian sid) still. All system tools are in /usr/bin and I can call them from my standard user account.

Just tried the plugin with Siduction and Eclipse Kepler and it works here. However, I can see that there might be something wrong with the dependencies of the msp430-plugin as there are some complaints to the console, if I download the standard Eclipse distribution (rather than the C/C++ edition). So, maybe if you could try to download "Eclipse Kepler for C/C++ developers" and see if it still causes trouble? Furthermore, try using a new workspace when trying it out.

If it continues to cause issues, could you send me the entire Eclipse workspace you used that caused issues? (just create a new one, with only the failing MSP430 project in it).

Cheers,

Paul