xpg

Eclipse plugin for mspdebug and msp430-gcc

Hi Paul,

I still cannot get the "upload to target" to work from the MSP430 menu, but I can upload using the following from a .bat file.

mspdebug olimex-iso-mk2 -d com2 -j "prog PmfTrial1.elf"

This allows me to now run my target board, but I still can't run in debug mode.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Paul,

I still cannot get the "upload to target" to work from the MSP430 menu, but I can upload using the following from a .bat file.

mspdebug olimex-iso-mk2 -d com2 -j "prog PmfTrial1.elf"

This allows me to now run my target board, but I still can't run in debug mode.

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you for the update. Could you please try to configure mspdebug to use "com2" as serial-device rather than USB in Eclipse? You do this by select "TTY" instead of USB, and enter "com2" in tht text box.

Best regards,

Paul

Under Project/properties/MSP430 I selected driver=olimex-iso-mk2, connection=TTY and com2, protocol=JTAG

This made the "upload to target" work from the MSP430 menu.

Under Run/debug configurations/GDB Hardware Debugging/PmfTrial1 Debug/Debugger I have GDB Command=${dk.xpg.msp430eclipse.variable.debugger}, use remote target ticked, JTAG device=Generic Serial, GDB Connection String=/dev/com2. However when I run debug it comes up with the error "Error while launching command: gdb --version"

I suspect that "${dk.xpg.msp430eclipse.variable.debugger}" is not the correct entry for GDB Command.

regards,

Peter

Under Project/properties/MSP430 I selected driver=olimex-iso-mk2, connection=TTY and com2, protocol=JTAG

This made the "upload to target" work from the MSP430 menu.

Under Run/debug configurations/GDB Hardware Debugging/PmfTrial1 Debug/Debugger I have GDB Command=${dk.xpg.msp430eclipse.variable.debugger}, use remote target ticked, JTAG device=Generic Serial, GDB Connection String=/dev/com2. However when I run debug it comes up with the error "Error while launching command: gdb --version"

I suspect that "${dk.xpg.msp430eclipse.variable.debugger}" is not the correct entry for GDB Command.

regards,

Peter

Ahh, you are setting the debugger up wrongly. The right steps are: Go to the "Debug Configuration"-dialog, and create a new configuration in the "MPS430 Debug"-group (by right-clicking it). Having that new configurations elected, simply click "Debug". 

Cheers,

Paul

Yes this seems to work. It certainly gets into debug. I just need to learn a bit more about controlling things in debug.

Thanks for your help.

regards,

Peter

Yes this seems to work. It certainly gets into debug. I just need to learn a bit more about controlling things in debug.

Thanks for your help.

No problem. Let me know if there is more I can do. While debugging works, it behaves a bit strange at times, especially when single-stepping through tight loops.

/Paul

Hi,

First of all, thanks and congrats for the great work.

I just installed the plugin (Eclipse Juno in WXP) today and I'm having a minor issue with the debugger. Although I can compile and download code (blinky modified) to a launchpad (with a MSP430g2553) the debug perspective seems to be out of sync with the MCU. I will explain this a little better.

I can set breakpoints and I know that when the code reaches one the execution stops (no blinking) but the debugger perspective does not show the real state of the micro: although the MCU is halted, the perspective looks like if the app were running (only pause and stop buttons active). I have to press pause and then play to make it run again. Same thing happens when I enter debug and the code is downloaded: execution does not start (breakpoint at main entry point) but the perspective looks like if it the MCU were running. I have to press pause and then play for the program to start.

What can be wrong? I'm using my "own" MSPDebug and MSPGCC (latest versions) but I have also tried with the one that can be downloaded from [1] with the same results.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

[1] http://xpg.dk/projects/msp430/msp430-eclipse/

Hi,

What can be wrong? I'm using my "own" MSPDebug and MSPGCC (latest versions) but I have also tried with the one that can be downloaded from [1] with the same results.

I'm not quite sure what could be wrong. But my guess is that it has something to do with the MSPDebug integration in Eclipse rather than MSPDebug or MSPGCC itself. I will verify how well the MSP430 plugin for Eclipse works on Windows in a couple of days. I'll let you know when I know a bit more.

Cheers,

Paul

Nice job xpg!

I have the same minor issue with the debugger as jelomer described in post #202.

I tried it with eclipse Juno in WinXP.

As strange as it might sound, I'm glad to hear. That indicates that I might be able to reproduce the bug and fix it.

Just need an evening with some spare time :-)

/Paul

Hi, I tried to install the MSP430 plugin into Eclipse CDT (Version 3.7.2) by clicking "HELP" -> "Install New Software" and then typing "http://eclipse.xpg.dk" into the "Work with:" software site box but have not had any success. Tried on different machines as well as at office and at home with the same results.

The status bar on the bottom right hand corner of Eclipse showed "Fetching children of h....xpg.dk:(2%)" for a long time and then times out.

I could access the site through Firefox so its not a proxy issue. I am running Eclipse on Ubuntu 12.04. Any other way of installing this plug-in?

Hi, I tried to install the MSP430 plugin into Eclipse CDT (Version 3.7.2) by clicking "HELP" -> "Install New Software" and then typing "http://eclipse.xpg.dk" into the "Work with:" software site box but have not had any success. Tried on different machines as well as at office and at home with the same results.

The status bar on the bottom right hand corner of Eclipse showed "Fetching children of h....xpg.dk:(2%)" for a long time and then times out.

I could access the site through Firefox so its not a proxy issue. I am running Eclipse on Ubuntu 12.04. Any other way of installing this plug-in?

That is strange. The only alternative way of installing it, that I can think of, is to download all files/directories from eclipse.xpg.dk and point Eclipse to the local directory where you have downloaded the files. However, if the problem persists I suspect that it might be an issue with my hosting provider.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul, It turns out that it WAS a proxy problem after all.

To fix this,  in Eclipse, go to Window -> Preferences -> General -> Network Connection. Make Active Provider -> Direct, all proxy entries become unchecked.

I have managed to install the plug-in. Thanks.

Hi Paul, It turns out that it WAS a proxy problem after all.

To fix this,  in Eclipse, go to Window -> Preferences -> General -> Network Connection. Make Active Provider -> Direct, all proxy entries become unchecked.

I have managed to install the plug-in. Thanks.

Thank you for the update. Good to know.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,

I have a problem with the installation. I don't understand this:

"Extract the package in an appropriate location ($HOME, for instance), and go to Eclipse (with the MSP430Eclipse plugin installed), and from the menu select MSP430->Tool Manager. Click the "Add..."-button, and browse to the tool-package directory. Select the tool-chain and press the "Activate"-button in order to tell Eclipse to use it."

I have the msp430 toolchain for mac but i don't know the exactly place to install. I think later, when i will make this, I will can select  tools in msp430 preference in eclipse.

Thanks for help.