xpg

Eclipse plugin for mspdebug and msp430-gcc

Hi there xpg,

I am trying to get to http://eclipse.xpg.dk/ and http://xpg.dk/files/File/msp430/msp430-toolchain-linux-amd64-3.0.tar.bz2 but getting "Operation timed out" in the web browser and "Service Unavailable" via wget. I tried around noon United States - Chicago time. Could you please take a look and advise, thanks.

Hi,

I just tried accessing both links from Europe (Denmark), and both seem to work (at least now). If you still have issues, please let me know, and I'll double check with my hosting provider.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks for checking Paul, appreciate it. It is working now. I will try installing and let you know issues, if any.

Thanks. Do please let me know about your experiences.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

We tried from our office, guess it is failing due to proxy. We will try without proxy and let you know, thanks.

Thank you for the update.

Cheers,

Paul

I've installed your plugin, compiled blinky and uploaded it to my launchpad (using your upload), nice work!  I'm trying to get the debugging working but can't get past the setup.  I go to the Debug configurations window (following your instructions), right click on "GDB hardware debugging", click new, go to the "Debugger" tab and check "Use Remote Target".  The problem I'm having is the mspdebug is NOT in the pull down menu.  I only have Generic TCP/IP, McCraigor, Arbatron, Generic Serial and OpenOCD.   How do I get the mspdebug to show up? I can run it from the command line and it works when flashing the board via your eclipse plugin.

I've installed your plugin, compiled blinky and uploaded it to my launchpad (using your upload), nice work!  I'm trying to get the debugging working but can't get past the setup.  I go to the Debug configurations window (following your instructions), right click on "GDB hardware debugging", click new, go to the "Debugger" tab and check "Use Remote Target".  The problem I'm having is the mspdebug is NOT in the pull down menu.  I only have Generic TCP/IP, McCraigor, Arbatron, Generic Serial and OpenOCD.   How do I get the mspdebug to show up? I can run it from the command line and it works when flashing the board via your eclipse plugin.

In order to debug your program, go to the "Debug Configuration"-dialog, and create a new configuration in the "MPS430 Debug"-group (by right-clicking it). As far as I understand from your description you are creating a new configuration in the hardware configuration group

This was used in some if the early versions of the plugin, but changed as a dedicated MSP430 debugging group is more easy to deal with.

Cheers,

Paul

• I have installed your plugin and can successfully build programs. However I cannot upload to a target board. I'm using an Olimex MSP430-JTAG-ISO-mk2  and can successfully upload programs when using both IAR EW for MSP430 and Code Composer Studio but cannot get it to work for MSPGCC. When I try to upload with MSPGCC it comes up with the error "Upload has encountered a problem. usbutil: unable to find a device matching 15ba:0008".

Do you have any suggestions of what I need to do to overcome this problem?

• I have installed your plugin and can successfully build programs. However I cannot upload to a target board. I'm using an Olimex MSP430-JTAG-ISO-mk2  and can successfully upload programs when using both IAR EW for MSP430 and Code Composer Studio but cannot get it to work for MSPGCC. When I try to upload with MSPGCC it comes up with the error "Upload has encountered a problem. usbutil: unable to find a device matching 15ba:0008".

Do you have any suggestions of what I need to do to overcome this problem?

Which driver have you selected in the MSP430 properties of your project?

/Paul

Hi Paul,

I have selected the olimex-iso driver with USB connection and JTAG protocol.

Peter

Hi,

I think I will need to add the "olimex-iso-mk2" driver in order for it to work. I'll have a look at it tomorrow. It should be trivial to add this and make a new release.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have selected the olimex-iso driver with USB connection and JTAG protocol.

Peter

I have released a new version (1.0.5.4) which should support the olimex-iso-mk2. Please try it out and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Paul

I've installed the update but still cannot upload to target board.
It comes up with the error "usbutil unable to find a device matching 15ba:0100"
I'm wondering if I have some incorrect settings somewhere.
I'm running with Windows 8 and installed Windows 32-bit msp430-toolchain-win-x86-3.0.
Program "PmfTrial1" compiles OK.
Under "Create, manage, and run configurations"
    C/C++ Application/PmfTrial1 Debug the GDB debugger = gdb and GDB command file = .gdbinit.
    GDB Hardware debugging/PmfTrial1 Debug
            under Debugger GDB Command = gdb${dk.xpg.msp430eclipse.variable.debugger}${build_files}
            Remote Target ticked
            JTAG Device = Generic TCP/IP (mspdebug is not listed as an option)
Any further suggestions?
Peter         

I've installed the update but still cannot upload to target board.

It comes up with the error "usbutil unable to find a device matching 15ba:0100"

I'm wondering if I have some incorrect settings somewhere.

I'm running with Windows 8 and installed Windows 32-bit msp430-toolchain-win-x86-3.0.

Program "PmfTrial1" compiles OK.

Under "Create, manage, and run configurations"

C/C++ Application/PmfTrial1 Debug the GDB debugger = gdb and GDB command file = .gdbinit.

GDB Hardware debugging/PmfTrial1 Debug

under Debugger GDB Command = gdb${dk.xpg.msp430eclipse.variable.debugger}${build_files}

Remote Target ticked

JTAG Device = Generic TCP/IP (mspdebug is not listed as an option)

Any further suggestions?

Peter         

The error you are getting indicates that mspdebug cannot locate your Olimex JTAG ISO MK2 device.

I'm not very used to Windows, so I'm a bit in the dark here: Could you try to use a tool, like the USB Device Tree Viewer (http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html) to find the USB device ID if your JTAG-device?

The settings you are listing are only relevant when debugging. Upload is performed directly with mspdebug. Also, in order to debug, you must create a debugging target in the "MSP430 Debug". Your settings seem to be from the "C/C++ Remote Application" debugger group.

Cheers,

Paul