xpg

Eclipse plugin for mspdebug and msp430-gcc

root@siductionbox:/home/oppa# dpkg -l | grep msp
ii  binutils-msp430          2.22~msp20120406-2       amd64     
ii  gcc-msp430               4.6.3~mspgcc-20120406-3  amd64      
ii  msp430-libc              20120224-1               amd64        
ii  msp430mcu                20120406-2               all              
ii  mspdebug                 0.19-1                   amd64       

Thank you, I'll check with those version and see if there are any incompatibilities

/Paul

I have this problem since day-0. There were several updates of the msp tools since then, I don't think this is the problem. I'll try starting Eclipse fron the console and look out for any error messages. I suspect permission and/or additional access protection problems.

It was quiet 'til the (empty) target selection box and then came a mouthful. Tried with Juno and Indigo, hope this helps. It's all java stuff, Greek to me... :oops:

Thank you very much for that information. It helps quite a lot. Are you running Debian Wheezy?

Cheers,

Paul

hi. probably a(nother) stupid question, but here goes...

under windows, must ti drivers be completely removed from the system to avoid conflicts or is it possible to temporarily disable under ports in device manager when installing and using the mspdebug driver?

i've successfully installed the msp430eclipse plugin and activated the toolchain - all seems well so far but i'm hanging back on this driver thing whilst i investigate further.

i've only tinkered with ccsv5 a little, played with energia a bit and had a quick look at the mpy project so far while i fumble my way around this stuff trying to learn what i can along the way and have yet to settle in to anything as yet. can these separate apps coexist happily with each other under one os on one system without too many head aches? will eclipse be ok with both ccs and msp430eclipse plugin installed?

is there a way to have my cake and eat it whilst still deciding what to have for dessert?

sorry for all the q's and i hope that makes sense - v. tired... coffee time. thanks for any input.

hi. probably a(nother) stupid question, but here goes...

Those are very good questions:

under windows, must ti drivers be completely removed from the system to avoid conflicts or is it possible to temporarily disable under ports in device manager when installing and using the mspdebug driver?

i've successfully installed the msp430eclipse plugin and activated the toolchain - all seems well so far but i'm hanging back on this driver thing whilst i investigate further.

Unfortunately, I think that the drivers do not coexist well. I have considered if it is possible to use the TI driver instead, in order to avoid this conflict. However, I haven't looked further into that -- I did plan on figuring out how Energia communicates with the Launchpad, but never got that far.

i've only tinkered with ccsv5 a little, played with energia a bit and had a quick look at the mpy project so far while i fumble my way around this stuff trying to learn what i can along the way and have yet to settle in to anything as yet. can these separate apps coexist happily with each other under one os on one system without too many head aches? will eclipse be ok with both ccs and msp430eclipse plugin installed?

I haven't tried it, but I think that msp430eclipse and ccsv5 should coexisting nicely in the same Eclipse installation.

is there a way to have my cake and eat it whilst still deciding what to have for dessert?

sorry for all the q's and i hope that makes sense - v. tired... coffee time. thanks for any input.

Thank you for your question. I will try to get some time to look into using the TI driver soon.

Best regards,

Paul

thanks for the response - i've woken up a little now and have decided to create a live linux usb stick to check out some of this mspgcc and mspdebug stuff with, can't believe i didn't think of it before but i've had a lot of new info to absorb recently and must be suffering from a mild case of brain overload. plus it'll be cool to be able to carry an ide armed bootable os around in my pocket as well as avoiding any possible driver/software conflicts for the time being.

been curious about some mspgcc compiled code found on various blogs and in online tutorials and it's about time i had another look at linux - it's been a while since i last dabbled but i figure it'll teach me a little more about coding, architecture and communication, not to mention patience. it would be cool to have an all in one solution though.

thank you for all your hard work so far, i look forward to seeing how this project develops.

*edit*

I did plan on figuring out how Energia communicates with the Launchpad, but never got that far.
Download the LaunchPad drivers for Windows: LaunchPad CDC drivers zip file for Windows 32 and 64 bit

if anyone else is feeling li-curious - this was completely painless: http://www.linuxliveusb.com and now for phase two: http://hackaday.com/2010/08/11/how-to-l ... with-linux - wish me luck.

After having created the project, right click on it and select properties. In the "MSP430"-setting it is possible to select the target MCU. Remember to press "Apply" in order for the selection to take effect.

on clicking apply:

Internal error

Reason:

Internal Error:

Details>>

i recieved this very same error message under windows and did not investigate further as i assumed it was due to the lack of mspdebug driver. however, this has just occured in the latest ubuntu with the latest eclipse available via software centre. i have followed all the steps in the first post to the letter. any ideas?

*edit*

doh! before clicking apply select rf2500 as driver under mspdebug - no more error. is this the correct driver? i've yet to try any code so may soon answer my own question but perhaps the first post should be edited to include this information? ok - i've watched the video on page 3 now... thanks!

on clicking apply:

Internal error

Reason:

Internal Error:

Details>>

doh! before clicking apply select rf2500 as driver under mspdebug - no more error.

Ahh, well, thanks for reporting this error. There shouldn't be an internal error. I'll fix that in the next release.

Good to hear that you got further.

Cheers,

Paul

Kinda, siduction a sid derivate.

I am trying to reproduce it with a chroot'ed siduction installation, but it works flawless here. Next step is using VirtualBox instead and see if that triggers the issue. Sorry for the delay in squashing this bug.

Cheers,

Paul

I am trying to reproduce it with a chroot'ed siduction installation, but it works flawless here. Next step is using VirtualBox instead and see if that triggers the issue. Sorry for the delay in squashing this bug.

No stress, I've got C2K and Stellaris Launchpad to keep me busy. Did I mention amd64 ?

oppa@siductionbox:~$ uname -a
Linux siductionbox 3.5-4.towo-siduction-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 15 16:05:46 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
oppa@siductionbox:~$ echo $PATH
/home/oppa/bin:/home/oppa/bin/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_CodeBench_Lite_for_ARM_EABI/bin/:/home/oppa/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
oppa@siductionbox:~$ which mspdebug
/usr/bin/mspdebug

Thanks,

Stephan