43oh

Which Mac to buy?

Whoa, that image came out much larger than I expected.

It's the TCO that counts, plus the user experience, plus the service, etc. For example, compare system upgrades.

Besides, I don't think hardware price difference is that big these days, if any.

Well, it's a matter of personal opinion. I've had Macs over the years, and OSX is a nice OS, but usually end up sticking with Windows and Linux. My Mac Mini G4 is sitting in the corner running Debian still faithfully working as a home server. As for system upgrades, I would disagree. They've only been making it harder for users to get at system internals, which is a part of Apple's philosophy.

The image above is a bit exaggerated since Mac Pro is crazy overpriced even compared to the other Mac lines, but I would argue that hardware price difference is still fairly large. As a rule of thumb, the base line models are probably ~$230 over what it would cost to build yourself, with upgrades beyond that costing significantly more. What you do get though, is a sexy case and hipster points from your friends. :>

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need a web server module to build X-10 controller for example. Ether/WiFi -> web server -> MSP430 -> X-10

I would just get an iMac. I had many Macs before and always went for PowerMacs, but for the past few years, even the lowest iMac offers more than I need and the best part, only one wire (especially no

The biggest thing you need to worry about when using/buying a Mac is going back to Windows or Linux.

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not too keen on the Hackintosh. I've been there, tried that, got frustrated.

This is what I ended up getting: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC936LL/A

Geekbench give it a 32bit score of 8611 which is just below a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) [which has an Intel Xeon W3530 2.8 GHz (4 cores)].

I think it will be just fine.

I'm not too keen on the Hackintosh. I've been there, tried that, got frustrated.

This is what I ended up getting: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC936LL/A

Geekbench give it a 32bit score of 8611 which is just below a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) [which has an Intel Xeon W3530 2.8 GHz (4 cores)].

I think it will be just fine.

Very nice.

My bro shared a spare ipad he had with me. I am frustrated by the lack of "control" it offers to the user, but impressed with the compact package and speed. Looking at the posts, i am a little confused:

It runs on iOS correct?

I also understand this is similar to MacOS X?

Will the drivers for OS X work on the ipad?

Can I install drivers manually?

Seems like it might be easier to fashion a bluetooth or WiFi connection to the LP than get the USB working directly

TIA, KB

"It runs on iOS correct?" - Yes.

"I also understand this is similar to MacOS X?" - There are a lot of shared libraries between those 2, but they are 2 different OSs.

"Will the drivers for OS X work on the ipad?" - No.

"Can I install drivers manually?" - No.

"Seems like it might be easier to fashion a bluetooth or WiFi connection to the LP than get the USB working directly" - You are correct, implementing anything that uses USB on iPad is a pain.

sounds good Zeke. May be a good place to use the TIiWiR2, i have that breakout board we designed, and the chip waiting for me to bust its cherry.... :shifty:

I just got the ProFLEX1 to come to life with the Olimex programmer. Starting to fiddle with GW's method for SimpliciTI, but this is zigbee. I would like it to be able to work on everybody's wireless

When I started out with this , using the Microchip module, i was discouraged by the huge size of the TCP/IP stack that they use. Hopefully it will go better with TI/LSR..... May need a SD card for the stack anyhow