grandmasternoob

Programming MSP430 with Energia on Mac: No USB FET was found

Howdy,

I'm having trouble programming my MSP430FR2433LP with Energia on my Mac. When I try to upload the program, it gives me this error:

image.thumb.png.2bc51a1803ef0af1b709338b2bc9f034.png

MSP430: Error initializing emulator: No USB FET was found.

Strangely, I am able to program it with the online Code Composer Studio. I have made it blink red and green lights. Unfortunately, I'm not trying to become an embedded programmer (while that would be fun, I do not have the time) so I do not want to learn CCS, registers, and serial communications in pure C. Props to all you who can do this. I really want this to work with Energia - it will save me many hours down the road.

I also tried this on my Windows Parallels desktop emulation software (which works pretty damn near perfectly like a true Windows OS), but I got the same error message!

The board and USB cable are clearly working if I can program with CCS. So what is going on with Energia?

Thanks,

Another Mac-using engineer with problems

I am having the exact same error with my board (MSP-EXP430FR2355). I am currently running the newest version of the Mac os (Catalina). I have no way of connecting to my board even though the LED's light up and the code compiles. 

Same here, same error, with MSP-EXP430G2ET with the G2553 on Mojave 10.14.6. Interestingly, the old G2 board with the G2553 works, using the downloadable drivers.

The G2ET works fine on my Powerbook, which is still on El Capitan 10.11.

This sucks because I'd hoped to use it in a class, and we ordered the G2ET because the G2 is no longer available.

I've also had this same problem. I have had someone with Mojave with this issue and with Catalina. Code Composer and Uniflash work fine so it's not like it can't find the device, but for some reason Energia can't find it. I have even used Uniflash to update firmware (which I thought would fix it), but still the same issue. 

Not sure if there's some config file that needs to be updated, but I know Macs do not need any drivers installed to communicate with the board.

For those having this problem, I found this "hack" (but it's not the best):

1. Use "Export compiled binary" under Sketch to generate a .hex file

2. Use uniflash to program the board instead

This was done using an MSP430F5529 board.