Sign in to follow this  
teedeeus

package an IDE with the msp430 gcc tools incl. debugger?

I noticed that the msp430-gcc etc... are in the repos for ubuntu 11.10 (which I use as my main computer) and i'm trying to get it to work with an IDE such as netbeans or eclipse and of course I'm having issues with that and not sure how to continue yet. I was wondering if anyone has packaged all of the MSP430-gcc, mspdebugger and ide into an archive that can simply be downloaded, extracted and simply run from the folder it extracts to - kinda like the arduino IDE. Now I don't like the look or feel of the arduino IDE at all, but it was easy to install on all of my computers (windows, mac and linux) and I could get started with it immediately. Anything like that exist for the MSP430?

-teedeeus

Thanks for the link. I installed netbeans and the plugin, but couldn't find options to make netbeans use the msp430 toolchain. It would be nice if there was a site that kept up to date instructions on using the msp430-gcc on linux, mac and windows.

Maybe 43oh.com would host it? I think it would be a great help for us newbies.

-teedeeus

Hmm... I've often considered creating a plugin for Eclipse like the one there is for the AVR. Just never got around it, as it can be made to work without -- it's just a bit of a hazzle.

However, if there is interest in such a thing, I'll get right to it.

/Paul

I'll take a look at it. Actually, I think I had some code before I gave up on it, as I got used to working without any help from Eclipse :-)

So far, I have installed the following in my quest to get the MSP430 working under Ubuntu (11.10) linux:

binutils-msp430

gcc-msp430

gdb-msp430

msp430-libc

msp430mcu

mspdebug

I have also installed eclipse-cdt Version: 3.7.0 and the bazillion other packages that eclipse wants. I have been browsing the eclipse forums, but I am at a loss to get eclipse talking to the msp-msp430 and mspdebug. Does anyone know how to do this?

-teedeeus

Yes, I have looked at that. The problem is that it uses the msp430-gdbproxy, which is not in the repositories for ubuntu 11.10. Also the instructions are old, as the mspgcc4 has been re-absorbed back into mspgcc.

Also, I believe the msp430-gdbproxy is not open source, I read somewhere that is is proprietary code, but I can't remember where I found it.

-teedeeus

Thanks for the link. I installed netbeans and the plugin, but couldn't find options to make netbeans use the msp430 toolchain. It would be nice if there was a site that kept up to date instructions on using the msp430-gcc on linux, mac and windows.

Maybe 43oh.com would host it? I think it would be a great help for us newbies.

-teedeeus

Or it could be put on the mspgcc wiki, to which editing rights are granted upon request. Though I think only two people have asked in the last year.

I am still continuing my search for a way to get an IDE to work with the mspgcc, still can't find anything. I was hopeful when TI came out with the code composer studio 5.1 but it doesn't support launchpad yet :(. I have seen tons of tutorials on the net for this, but they don't really work anymore. Does anyone have a modern tutorial for setting up an IDE with the mspgcc and mspdebug that will work on Ubuntu 11.10 64bit? Anything using the msp430-gdbproxy won't work.

-teedeeus

Just substitute mspdebug for msp430-gdbproxy?

I'm feeling really frustrated. I just can't get that to work. I know it's because I don't know enough about the way debuggers work with IDE's. The IDE's want to talk to localhost for the debugger - that's where msp430-gdbproxy comes in, translating the requests to the mspdebug. I haven't found a single tutorial on the internet that shows me how to talk straight to mspdebug. Many of the links I have tried following no longer exist.

I want to use the open source tools because my main computer that I do all of my other (arduino and web) coding on is an Ubuntu 11.10 desktop. I want to be able to code for the Launchpad on it as well. I also have a Chronos watch and with the 16k limit of code composer studio - i don't want to touch the code in the watch until until I can get past the 16k limit of CCS4.

I have installed all of the msp tools that are in the Ubuntu 11.10 repository. I can write C code and compile it and even use mspdebug to flash it to the launchpad. I would like to have the same debug capacity that CCS4 gives me where I can set watch expressions and breakpoints, so if there is a good tutorial out there on doing that with mspdebug from the command line, I'll do it.

Is there a way to get the debugging features of CCS4 using open source tools?

-teedeeus

I have also installed eclipse-cdt Version: 3.7.0 and the bazillion other packages that eclipse wants. I have been browsing the eclipse forums, but I am at a loss to get eclipse talking to the msp-msp430 and mspdebug. Does anyone know how to do this?

-teedeeus

How did you manage this ?

No repository found at http://opensource.zylin.com/embeddedcdt.html.
No repository found at http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/downloads.php.

That's what I'm getting. :? But I got the CLI tools working now.

Thanks for the link. I installed netbeans and the plugin, but couldn't find options to make netbeans use the msp430 toolchain.

Just tried that with the same outcome. There's only the default GNU C Compiler listed.