schen

MSP432P104R inconsistencies between Energia IDE and Energia Project under CCS

The MSP432P104R SPI mode definitions have opposite polarity as the conventional modes, that is confusing enough. Yet, when I import an Energia project into CCS, the SPI polarities of the modes are reversed.

I used tone() built-in function in Energia IDE for MSP432P104R. It had no output. I imported the project into CCS to debug it, the tone() function works under CCS.

I am using Energia 1.6.10E18 and did all the updates of the libraries. I am using CCS v8 with all the updates. I also deleted the msp432_MSP-EXP432P401R_core and re-import the project and that did not change anything I could tell.

Thanks, Rei. The patch in your link solves only the initialization problem for HX8353E.

There are two issues that require attention:

1. SPI clock phase is inverted for MSP432P104R. It has nothing to do with the errata. The clock phase is defined as inverted for the data modes as compared to the convention.

2. CCS uses a different core library as Energia IDE.

I dug in deeper and I am a bit more confused.

When I used "RED LuanchPad w/ msp432 EMT" in Energia IDE, C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Energia15\packages\energia\hardware\msp432r\5.6.1\ was used.

When I imported the same project into CCS, C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Energia15\packages\energia\hardware\msp432\3.8.0\ was imported as msp432r_MSP-EXP432P401R_core.

I uninstalled "Energia MSP432 boards by Energia version 3.8.0" from Energia Boards Manager then deleted the folder C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Energia15\packages\energia\hardware\msp432\3.8.0\

I deleted my Energia project in CCS together with the msp432r_MSP-EXP432P401R_core project.

I re-import the Energia project but the project did not build. It complained about the core being incompatible.

I deleted my Energia project in CCS together with the msp432r_MSP-EXP432P401R_core project again.

I re-installed Energia MSP432 boards by Energia version 3.8.0.

I re-import the Energia project and this time a new core project msp432r_MSP-EXP432P401RR_core was automatically created (notice the double RR after 401). This version of the core is based on version 5.6.1.

Now both Energia IDE and CCS have opposite phase of SPI from the conventional data mode. At least they are consistent now.

The tone() function still works in CCS but not in Energia IDE.