Sign in to follow this  
iragdoll

Connecting Piezo Vibration Sensor to LaunchPad

Okay, so right now, it looks like there is some noise issues.

I have the vibration sensor connected just like this:

file.php?id=27

Except I have a 3.3v zener diode.

I have the transistor hooked up exactly like the schematic shown here: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php ... _Drive_LED

I first tested out the transistor by it self, and it works. My main problem right now is when I put this code for the vibration sensor (Please check the code if I messed up anything)

#define __MSP430G2231__
#include 

#define PHOTOCELL BIT0 

int analogRead(unsigned int pin);

void main() {
 volatile unsigned int val;
 int threshold = 90;
 int delay;

WDTCTL = WDTPW + WDTHOLD;
 P1DIR |= BIT6;
 //P1OUT = 0;

ADC10CTL0 = ADC10ON + ADC10SHT_0 + SREF_0; // ACD10 on, 4 clock cycles per sample, Use Vcc/Vss references

// change frequency to ~15.25mhz (DCO(15,3))
 BCSCTL1 |= (BIT0 + BIT1 + BIT2 + BIT3);
 DCOCTL &= ~(BIT7);
 DCOCTL |= (BIT6 + BIT5);

for (; {
   val = analogRead(PHOTOCELL);
   if(val > threshold){
       P1OUT |= BIT6;
       delay = 0;
       while(delay < 1000)
               delay++;
       P1OUT &= ~BIT6;
   }
  }
 }

int analogRead(unsigned int pin) {
 ADC10CTL1 = ADC10SSEL_2 + pin;// Select MCLK and pin
 ADC10CTL0 |= ENC + ADC10SC; // enable and start conversion
 while (1) {
   if ((ADC10CTL1 ^ ADC10BUSY) & ((ADC10CTL0 & ADC10IFG)==ADC10IFG)) { // ensure conversion is complete
     ADC10CTL0 &= ~(ADC10IFG +ENC); // disable conversion and clear flag
     break;
   }
 }
 return ADC10MEM;
}

When i get close to any ground wires, the LED starts flickering. The main goal for this project is to be able to detect vibration while comparing the value to a set threshold. If it hits that threshold, the LED must stay on for a specified amount of time. If it does not hit the threshold, the LED should stay off.

The vibration sensor seems to be working because when I shake it, it blinks the LED. (Its hard to see because if you get close to a ground wire it starts blinking by itself)

Thanks!

The vibration sensor seems to be working because when I shake it, it blinks the LED. (Its hard to see because if you get close to a ground wire it starts blinking by itself)

you may want to try and use a wooden stick to "poke" the sensor from 1 meter away to isolate the impact of your "body" capacitance. :D

anyway, i am not familiar to this type of device, but i do also have noise problem on various adc projects.

. you may want to sleep while u are taking adc measures, this will avoid interference from the mcu itself.

. will help if u go further and turn your io pins to input and floating.

. when u are consecutively reading adc in your while loop, avoid doing io, ie. don't turn on your led yet.

. moving your led to p2 may help (p1.0 is adc0)

. if u are running on a breadboard, be sure to add 100nF cap close to mcu between gnd and vcc.

. run your sampling slower i.e. change ADC10SHT_0 to 1 or 2.

. if your application allows, try to run slower, i.e 8Mhz, 4Mhz, etc.

in addition, the wait-for-adc-done condition check is over-engineered unnecessary (i had to use pen and paper to help myself understand it) and the single '&' would have failed if not ADC10BUSY happens to be bit0.

if ((ADC10CTL1 ^ ADC10BUSY) & ((ADC10CTL0 & ADC10IFG)==ADC10IFG)) { // ensure conversion is complete

may be this way is more clear when someone want to adopt this code in the future

if ((ADC10CTL1 & ADC10BUSY) && (ADC10CTL0 & ADC10IFG)) { // no good, corrected below

[EDIT]

sorry typo, the above should be

if (!(ADC10CTL1 & ADC10BUSY) && (ADC10CTL0 & ADC10IFG)) {

we want to wait till adc is not busy and interrupt flag set..., sorry about that.

[/EDIT]

if u want to try sleeping, may want to try (i did not test it though)

ADC10CTL1 = ADC10SSEL_2 + pin;// Select MCLK and pin
 ADC10CTL0 |= ENC + ADC10SC; // enable and start conversion
 __bis_SR_register(CPUOFF + GIE); // i rest so i can go further
 ADC10CTL0 &= ~(ADC10IFG +ENC); // disable conversion and clear flag, actually ADC10IFG is cleared automatically

return ADC10MEM;
}

#pragma vector=ADC10_VECTOR
__interrupt void Adc10_Vector(void) {
   __bic_SR_register_on_exit(CPUOFF);  // Clear CPUOFF bit from 0(SR)
}

also be sure to ask for adc interrupt and enable interrupt in main()

ADC10CTL0 = ADC10ON + ADC10SHT_0 + SREF_0 + ADC10IE; // may want also to try ADC10SHT_2, etc
   _BIS_SR(GIE);       // enable interrupt

also for the clock source, you are using sm clock w/ no division, i had only been using adc10 internal osc in my few projects (about 5mhz) w/ divide by 8, it may worth a try if u still got too much noise.

i.e.

ADC10CTL1 = ADC10SSEL_2 + pin;
.. change to
ADC10CTL1 = ADC10DIV_3 + pin;

hope this helps.

Hey Guys,

I need some help again. I need to read the ADC on an interrupt basis so basically when the vibration sensor is hit, it should send an interrupt to run a function. Otherwise it should stay in LPM0. Any ideas?

Currently my code looks like this:

#define __MSP430G2231__
#include 

#define PHOTOCELL BIT0
#define LED BIT6

int analogRead(unsigned int pin);

void main() {
 volatile int val;
 int threshold = 45;

WDTCTL = WDTPW + WDTHOLD;
 P1DIR |= LED;
 P1OUT = 0;

ADC10CTL0 = ADC10ON + ADC10SHT_0 + SREF_0;

for (; {
   val = analogRead(PHOTOCELL);

if(val + 10 > threshold){
       P1OUT |= LED;
       __delay_cycles(1000000);
       P1OUT &= ~LED;
   }
  }
 }

ADC10CTL1 = ADC10SSEL_2 + pin;
 ADC10CTL0 |= ENC + ADC10SC;

while (1) {
   if ((ADC10CTL1 ^ ADC10BUSY) & ((ADC10CTL0 & ADC10IFG)==ADC10IFG)) { 
     ADC10CTL0 &= ~(ADC10IFG +ENC);
     break;
   }
 }
 return ADC10MEM;
}

I need to read the ADC on an interrupt basis so basically when the vibration sensor is hit, it should send an interrupt to run a function. Otherwise it should stay in LPM0. Any ideas?

i think u need a different approach. adc won't generate an interrupt to wake u up. interrupt usage in adc is for waking u up after it finishes the adc conversion, i.e. u need to start an adc conversion in the 1st place. if u want to save power for non-activity, u can only sleep and have the timer wake u up periodically, or have a "digital" input to wake u up.

u may want to consider these two approaches.

(1) setup a timer to wake u up every 1/8 (1/32, or whatever suits) second, take an adc sample and see if u have any readings from the piezo. if no reading, u back to sleep and wait for 1/8 sec again. this will save u from reading adc all the time and save power. u can go to LMP2/3 for further power saving in this approach.

(2) elevate you piezo input to a digital logic hi level (2.7v+), connects it to a input pin, setup edge trigger interrupt on the pin and let it wakes u up. u get to go to LPM4 for even more power saving in this approach. cons, this will require additional components.