Sign in to follow this  
iragdoll

Connecting Piezo Vibration Sensor to LaunchPad

Ebay is often the best for one-off part orders. Unless you are ordering 15+ dollars worth of parts, shipping from web-stores hurt.

Agreed. I often get parts from eBay, and I usually get 10-20 for the price I would pay for 1 locally or in an on-line store (once you add shipping). Be sure to just look at the "free shipping" eBay offers, though.

I see... I just figured out that our local Fry's Electronics Store carries lots of zener diodes, so I'm going to check if they have a 3.3 volt version. If they don't, I will go with the options you guys have suggested.

Thanks!

I really need some serious help with the ADC on the LaunchPad! I looked at NJC's code but did not really understand it. I need help please and fast!

I need to read input of a Piezo Vibration Sensor. I also need to set a threshold that sets the mark to which if passed, an LED should turn on. Otherwise, it should stay off. Any help will be much appreciated please!

I am building a small vibration detector. Its job is to detect vibration, and turn on an LED for a fixed amount of time.

I will see to reading the voltage i guess?

Do I need to use CUTTER and CYCLE on my project? Also, what is INCH?

Do I need the map function as well?

Your analog value will be returned when you call analogRead(PIN_CONNECTED_TO_SENSOR)

CUTTER and CYCLE are pin defines. I think he missed out a header file defining INCH_X

You don't need map(). He created that to scale values from one range(0-1023) to another range(1-1000)

A small AC and large voltage (up to +/-90V) is created when the film moves back and forth. A simple resistor should get the voltage down to ADC levels.

Since this will be an AC voltage, you may want to put a rectifier and maybe a capacitor to smooth out the signal. Don't forget the zener diode mentioned in your other thread to protect the MSP430 from high voltages.

From there, have a look at the MANY examples of ADC use both in these forums and all around the web (check TI's site for examples as well).

BTW: This really should not have been a separate thread. We'd have seen your renewed request if you'd posted at the end of your previous thread. @bluehash: perhaps combine the two threads?

Okay, so all I need to do is call analogRead() on the pin that I am reading the Vibration Sensor, make an if statement comparing it with a threshold, and turn on an LED if it passes it?

Is the rectifier/capacitor necessary? Is it required?

Oh and sorry about the two posts. I actually was in a hurry in the beginning and forgot about my previous post. Wont happen again!

No, val should contain a representation of the voltage read. You can just leave that val assignment by itself in the for loop.

On the line #define PHOTOCELL INCH_0, INCH_0 means input 0. The sensor(a photocell) is connected to P1.0. If it said INCH_1, that would mean it was connected to P1.1.