Sign in to follow this  
estratos

Supported MSP430's

Dear colleagues,

It's been a while since I used Energia and MSP's (other than my loved CC430's) to develop a project so I've just installed the latest version of the IDE and updated from Boards->Manager. I was a bit surprised to see that the list of supported devices is still quite short. What is people doing when developing for platforms not appearing in the list? Are they creating their own board cores? Do they fork from similar boards?

My project is quite simple and could probably be solved with a bare MSP430F2553 but I wanted to stay a bit more conservative so I was looking into more powerful options, something like the MSP430G2755 for example.

Thanks guys for your feedback,

Daniel

I have developed for a couple of other MSP430 versions that were not already in Energia, although not lately. The easiest way is to start with something quite similar and modify pins_energia.h and modify the boards.txt file as needed.  The G2955 is a nice microcontroller that might meet your needs.  If so, I have placed the pins_energia.h file and directions for modification of boards.txt and installation here.  It was developed for, and the directions for installation are for Energia V17.

Thanks Fmilburn. The MSP430G2955 is a very good option as well. Did you notice any  problem on any of the peripherals ? The variants + boards.txt approach is very simple but perfect if it works. I remember having had to add some specific core code for the CC430F5137 when I created the panStamp NRG project.

Thanks Rei. Is this an ongoing project? Is there any list of third party boards (json files) supported by Energia as with the Arduino project?

https://github.com/arduino/arduino/wiki/unofficial-list-of-3rd-party-boards-support-urls

Regards.

BTW, If you don't want to design board right now, I have 2 breakout boards left,  for MSP430x2xx 38 pin TSSOP devices.

msp430g2955.jpg

Thanks Fmilburn. The MSP430G2955 is a very good option as well. Did you notice any  problem on any of the peripherals ? The variants + boards.txt approach is very simple but perfect if it works. I remember having had to add some specific core code for the CC430F5137 when I created the panStamp NRG project.

I did not have problems but only used it one project and did not test all peripherals.  I see that the links that Rei Vilo has provided are quite recent and by people who are more familiar with Energia than I am.  I would start with those...

I find the TSSOP packages easy enough to hand solder.

On 5/15/2018 at 6:57 AM, jazz said:

BTW, If you don't want to design board right now, I have 2 breakout boards left,  for MSP430x2xx 38 pin TSSOP devices.

Looks great.  I did one https://oshpark.com/profiles/Rickta59  that didn't have any of the required passives. Mine was lame compared to yours.  Also it is the only PCB I've ever designed. I decided I'd leave it to others to do properly.

Is your PCB design something you would be willing to share?

On 5/19/2018 at 9:06 PM, Rickta59 said:

Is your PCB design something you would be willing to share?

Not for now.