43oh

Can't get Energia to work without it freezing or being extremely slow

Hi,

I have an MSP430G2553 board that I need to work with. However, when using Energia, the program usually freezes or becomes extremely slow to the point that I just have to terminate the process and close it. I really doubt it's a code problem, since the only codes I've used have been from the Examples (Blink and AnalogReadSerial). I've tried a couple of things: uninstalling and re-installing drivers, following all the steps in the Windows guide for Energia, re-downloading Energia. But nothing works.

The problem is most certainly a communication problem with the board since, upon unplugging the board, the program starts working again with no freezes whatsoever.

I really need to get this to work, so any suggestion is apreciated.

Windows 10 by the way.

Thanks.

- Raimundo

I tried it with a different version of energia, both 15 and 16; they still exhibit the same problems. 

As a side note, I borrowed a PC from my College's library, this one with Windows 8, and everything works perfectly! This is a bit weird since I had also tested it on a friend's PC, with Windows 8.1, and it had the same problems as with my own PC, so I'm really at a loss regarding what might be the problem. 

I'd really like to be able to run it on my own PC, rather than on the library's, since I would have to keep turning it in and taking it out every week.

This is most likely a virus scanner issue. I have seen exactly the same issue on a Windows machine with mcfee. After disabling the virus scanner, it was back to normal.

The virus scanner will scan any executable that starts up. While compiling with Energia gcc and arduino-builder are launched dozens of times. Each scan could take considerable amount of time hence it seems like the IDE is freezing. Try disabling your virus scanner and see if things improve.

Robert

I don't use an Anti-virus. I even disabled Windows Defender because it kept scanning whenever it got the chance, slowing my computer in the process. If I ever think something might be in my machine, I use Malwarebytes; but I have no constantly active virus-scanner.

Updates.

1.- I got another board, an MSP430F5529. Energia works perfectly with it. No crashes, freezes or slowdowns.

2.- I downloaded Code Composer Studio 8 and tested its energia interface/compiler with the MSP430G2553. I was able to upload programs to it without any trouble, slowness, or freezes.

So it seems the problems are only happening when using the G2553 with the standalone energia IDE. Apparently it's not an energia only issue, as it works great with the other board, and neither is it a problem with the board specifically since I can upload to it with CCS.

I hope someone has any suggestions in light of these events.