thunderbirds

Energia compile problem : '{build.project_path}' doesn't exist or isn't a directory

Hi, I've just started with LaunchPad MSP432 + Energia + Driver MSP432 EMT Red  version 5.6.1

LaunchPad rev 2.0, Energia ver 1.6.10E18, MacOS 10.13

I updated arduino.builder with the version from arduino.1.8.5 and that fixed the problem with the MSpanList_Insert error.

But I have a java error - ino2cpp: error: sketch directory '{build.project_path}' doesn't exist or isn't a directory

Can anyway point me to what files I need to fix to address this?

thanks

thanks,

MacOS 10.13. I never have any spaces in path/filenames (a habit from old DOS and Unix days).

Below is the error message and all the paths / files on the command line exist.

"java" "-jar" "/Users/gjok/Library/Energia15/packages/energia/tools/ino2cpp/1.0.2/ino2cpp.jar" -o "/var/folders/_z/w518m88n2hs2clk0nc4n17_80000gn/T/build41bb0049b9729603ac52432ac8ba2562.tmp/sketch/" -T "/Users/gjok/Library/Energia15/packages/energia/tools/ino2cpp/1.0.2/templates/Variables.mk.template" -r "/Users/gjok/Library/Energia15/packages/energia/tools/ino2cpp/1.0.2" -n sketch_mar06b.ino "{build.project_path}" msp432:MSP_EXP432P401R"
ino2cpp: error: sketch directory '{build.project_path}' doesn't exist or isn't a directory.

The quotes are unbalanced, the last item should be "msp432:MSP_EXP432P401R" but maybe that's an formatting error in the output (?).

The source folder of the sketch is : /Users/gjok/Documents/Energia/sketch_mar06b, so it would seem to me that the {build.project_path} should have been expanded to /Users/gjok/Documents/Energia/sketch_mar06b.

If I run above with {build.project_path} replaced with /gjok/Documents/Energia/sketch_mar06b, then no error results.

Presumably, an upstream process in the compile chain is supposed to know about {build.project_path} but doesn't and so hasn't parsed it.

So, the question is, where is {build.project_path} meant to have been set upstream?

I don't know where.

Apologies for being a newbie.

The issue seems to be related to the driver selected.

If I specify one of the msp430 boards (pre-installed Energie MSP430 boards Built-Ib by Energia version 1.0.1) all compiles fine:

/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Java/hardware" -hardware "/Users/gjok/Library/Energia15/packages" -tools "/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder" -tools "/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/msp430" -tools "/Users/gjok/Library/Energia15/packages" -built-in-libraries "/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Java/libraries" -libraries "/Users/gjok/Documents/Energia/libraries" -fqbn=energia:msp430:MSP-EXP430F5529LP -ide-version=10610 -build-path "/var/folders/_z/w518m88n2hs2clk0nc4n17_80000gn/T/build41bb0049b9729603ac52432ac8ba2562.tmp" -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "/Users/gjok/Documents/Energia/sketch_mar06b/sketch_mar06b.ino"

If I specify the post-installed "Energia MSP432 EMT Red boards by Energia version 5.6.1", that's when the build.project_path issue occurs.

/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Java/hardware" -hardware "/Users/gjok/Library/Energia15/packages" -tools "/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder" -tools "/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/msp430" -tools "/Users/gjok/Library/Energia15/packages" -built-in-libraries "/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Java/libraries" -libraries "/Users/gjok/Documents/Energia/libraries" -fqbn=energia:msp432r:MSP-EXP432P401RR -ide-version=10610 -build-path "/var/folders/_z/w518m88n2hs2clk0nc4n17_80000gn/T/build41bb0049b9729603ac52432ac8ba2562.tmp" -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "/Users/gjok/Documents/Energia/sketch_mar06b/sketch_mar06b.ino"

I'm having the same issues as you described in the original post, with the same board driver (5.6.1) and arduino_builder (1.8.5).

What exactly do you mean when you said you're using embedXcode now? I installed it, made a new project, and tried to build it (following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4lnz6ixvgU ), but the build failed at line 26, and opens up a browser window listing the boards and IDEs I dont have installed. Would I need to install everything else as well in order to get it to work, or am I missing something else?

The buildtime error says "MSP-EXP432P401R board is unknown.  Stop.", at line 283 of step1.mk

I'm very new to this, so please excuse any overly stupid questions for the time being.

Hi Ananmore,

I probably can't help much because I do not understand the backend requirements of embedXcode.

But I'm guessing it's assuming a specific environment, so here is what I have set up:

1/ macOS 10.13.1

2/ Xcode 9.2

3/ Arduino 1.8.5 - installed in /Applications

4/ Energia 1.6.10E18 installed in /Applications

5/ Cut / paste example sketch from Energia.

6/ Select Build target, run.

7/ Select Upload target, run - watch your LEDs start blinking.

Hope you have some luck, the embedXcode environment is very impressive.

I was getting ready to code at the Code Composer Studio level but the Energia/Arduino Sketch framework makes development so much easier.

Ah. It fixed itself once I installed Arduino 1.8.5. That was probably it.

Yeah, I need to use the MSP432 for a class, and the professor only teaches us in CCStudio, while we are free to use other IDEs if we find any that work. Once I found out Energia can be used as well, and seeing how much easier the programming looks, the choice was pretty obvious.

2 hours ago, amanmore said:

Ah. It fixed itself once I installed Arduino 1.8.5. That was probably it.

Yeah, I need to use the MSP432 for a class, and the professor only teaches us in CCStudio, while we are free to use other IDEs if we find any that work. Once I found out Energia can be used as well, and seeing how much easier the programming looks, the choice was pretty obvious.

If you’re on Mac, you can try embedXcode, a template for Xcode.