43oh

MSP-EXP432P401R & CC3100BOOST External Power

Hello,

I am attempting to externally power a MSP-EXP432P401R (rev 2.1) & CC3100BOOST (rev 3.3) independent of USB connections.  I would like to power both off of the 3.3v bus only (via J6 on the MSP432), which sounds like it should be possible based upon the datasheets I have reviewed.  I have set J8 on the CC3100 to the bypass LDO setting, and I am using the Energia SimpleWebServerWifi.ino example.  What I have discovered is that the CC3100BOOST reports a significantly lower signal strength (-75 dBm) when it is powered up only on 3.3v.  If I add in a 5v external supply or change the power source back to USB, I get a far higher signal strength (-42 dBm).  Am I missing something here?  Does the CC3100BOOST require the 5v supply to function properly?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks for the reply Rei Vilo,

In my setup, I am not utilizing the LDO on the MSP-EXP432P401R, and have removed the jumpers connecting to the debugger side of the board.  I am instead utilizing an external buck boost converter to power both the MSP432 and the CC3100. The goal here is to be able to power both off of battery power. It would simplify the setup if I could only provide 3.3v and not both 3.3v and 5v.