43oh

How to input a 64bit value from stack to one of the MSP430f5529 registers?

Hello,

I wrote a code for calculating VCO frequency and divider values for a PLL from the given output frequencies. For now I am printing the values in the console to debug my code and it is working properly. But now I want to move the values from stack to registers available in MSP430f5529. In the image below you can see that freq_VCO value is stored in stack memory location 0x04382. How do I move this value in one of the registers?

Pleas help!

image.thumb.png.6af9633a77ca530a363326376dfa7e18.png

The '5529 is a 16-bit device, with 16-bit registers, so it's not possible to use a single register to store a 64-bit value. Perhaps storing the address of the 64-bit value?  But I don't see any real rationale for doing that...  Others, far smarter than I, may offer better suggestions.

22 hours ago, NurseBob said:

The '5529 is a 16-bit device, with 16-bit registers, so it's not possible to use a single register to store a 64-bit value. Perhaps storing the address of the 64-bit value?  But I don't see any real rationale for doing that...  Others, far smarter than I, may offer better suggestions.

No, 5529 is not 16-bit device. It is with CPUvX2 that have 20-bit registers and 20-bit assembler instructions. Some of this instructions (so called address instructions) can be executed in one cycle. BTW, also, all FRAM devices are with 20-bit registers and 20-bit assembler instructions. 

From assembler it can be seen as 16 or 20bit depending on the instruction set used - MSP430 or MSP430X, it has a 16/20bit ALU. I would guess a C-compiler will mix 16/20bit style instructions for speed if memory requirement is > 64K.

The OP never mentioned if using C or assembler and what the value is needed for - printing? a calculation? store somewhere else (in a "variable")?.

To load a 64bit value from consecutive words in memory into registers from assembler code register indirect adressing mode with auto increment is the easiest. Move the stack pointer into a register and add (or subtract?) the offset needed to reach the data and use it as the base (assuming the data lives in a stack frame with a fixed offset from the current stack pointer value).

From C code use the * dereference operator to read from an address into a variable. It may be possible to read the data into separate registers from C as 16 bit values, but then you are at the mercy of the compiler. I have not looked into how to get at the stack pointer from C, doable? Use a global variable instead of picking it off the stack?

A final note: I do not understand why loading into register(s) is required...

Thank you all for your responses!!

@ Terjeio,

I am using C and the value I need to store in split registers so that when I connect a synthesizer I can feed the value to it for further actions. I am not sure if the value is stored in stack memory will I be able to retrieve it later as the compiler stores at random address?? Therefore i thought of storing it in registers of the MSP430 so that i can access the value for later purpose.

As #Agaelema mentioned I used a pointer to receive the address of the 64bit variable and increment it to read all the address.