Sign in to follow this  
cde

Launchpad Easy Breadboarding Trick

Since there is a lack of 20 pin DIP msp430 chips, and considering that with only 1 8-bit port (Plus 2 bits if you don't solder the crystal on), the easiest way to interface the msp430g launchpad devices to a breadboard would be a 10-pin cable, on 1 side!

After you soldered on either the female (best option imo) or the male headers to the launchpad, use a jumper to tie p1.6 to p2.5, p1.7 to p2.4, and another jumper cable from a gnd point (3 pin header at bottom, or at the top of j2) to p2.3.

Additionally, add three jumpers to the bottom of the dip socket on the launchpad, bridging the last three sets of pins (see Picture). This allows any connections on the j2 side to be passed to the j1 side.

mw0.th.jpg

Now, with a 10 pin cable connected to j1, you get all the important pins (V+, Port 1, Gnd) on a single side of a breadboard. Having them all on a single side makes life so easy commandant!

lqov.th.jpg

Alternatively, due to the spacing, you can't use a 6-pin dip alongside the 14-pin dip on the socket, but you can use a 4 pin dip of some sort (optocoupler, dip button, dipswitch, transistor, leds, etc).

It does lead to a question though. Can the xin and xout pins, after having installed the crystal, still be used as gpio, or is it forever useless aside from being a clock at that point?

Sweet! Thats like an expandable platform. Thanks for sharing cde.

Additionally, add three jumpers to the bottom of the dip socket on the launchpad, bridging the last three sets of pins (see Picture). This allows any connections on the j2 side to be passed to the j1 side.

This is one of those, "why did I not think of that" ideas.

..Never noticed you just registered. Welcome to the forums!

Sweet! Thats like an expandable platform. Thanks for sharing cde.

This is one of those, "why did I not think of that" ideas.

..Never noticed you just registered. Welcome to the forums!

Thank you.

And yea, it is. Only thought of it as such after ordering a few cables to put all 14/20 pins onto a breadboard and seeing the extra 3 sets of pins as useless due to the current 20pinless state of selection.

That said, honestly, the msp430g chips could all be turned into a ten pin sip chip once debugging/testing is done. I'mma wiring one up as such and post it later.

Just a follow-up. Finally sat down and soldered the sockets on. Easiest way that I could think of to make sure the sockets where nice and level (and straight) was to mount the sockets on a header on a breadboard. Since I didn't have one wide enough, I used two. And it also made it easier than using a helping hands holder.

y0np.th.jpgjn2ge.th.jpg

Flux helped alot. How do people solder or desolder/fix things with 15w irons anyway? The solder won't remelt a second time, and I suck at using desoldering braided wire.

Anyway, the real follow-up is this. Made a small jumper from a 4 pin header, that brings p2.7 to p2.4 and p2.6 to p2.5. I used a pair of wire cutters at the very edge of the lead, enough to snip it without cutting it off completely. This let me bend it across to the next lead. This pair is for p2.6 to p2.5. Even with the extended lead header I had, I couldn't do the same to the top, so I took an extra header pin, and using a helping hands holder, positioned it on top. After soldering the pins together, clipped the excess on either side.

ovhb.th.jpgg75c.th.jpg

Optionally, you can throw some heatshink on it.

15976765.th.jpg

Only had yellow in that size. Yuck. Will either replace with black eventually (or launchpad red), or just leave it uncovered.

Anyway, the real follow-up is this. Made a small jumper from a 4 pin header, that brings p2.7 to p2.4 and p2.6 to p2.5.

ooo nice!. Innovative way to make a jumper. I'm lazy, Id just put in a wire :) But my wire would not double up as a heatsink. :lol:

Any case, I'll update the main blog post with this.