43oh

Free STM32F4 discovery kit in US/Canada

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://hackaday.com/2011/10/17/how-to-d ... k+a+Day%29   This article may be of interest to some.

Here's a start. I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 (just released) and it appears that the Universe repository already has an ARM package available for GCC 4.6.   sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi

STM32F4 discovery kit giveaway  

Posted Images

The peripherals on Stellaris and C2000 are too complex and I can't make much sense of CMSIS (Cortex Microcontroller Software Interface Standard).

I was going to do a little project with the Piccolo control stick, but the ePWM manual was 140 pages! Don't have time for that.

My favorite chip right now is the dsPIC33EP512MU810

Agree, but DO NOT use CMSIS. Use Stellarisware. Your dev time will be less than one day to setup peripherals.

For the Picollo as well as C2000, you do need all the functions that the chip povides. Getting all that done in hardware frees up alot of time for the software. We use almost all the blocks in the PWM including the chopper and especially the dead band.

It would be nice just to figure out TI's intentions about the Stellaris line. Atmel, NXP and ST are spanking TI on the Cortex processors right now.

If I had to spec in an ARM Cortex right now, I would be seriously thinking about an Atmel or ST part and not a TI part.

It seems that TI had their pants pulled down around their ankles on the Stellaris line. The b9x line is such a big screw up that no one will touch them with a 10 foot pole. Buying them is even more challenging. Just ask HotSolder/Rowley.

That leaves the MSP430 trying to compete with those high speed MCU's out there. It isn't even a contest.

Agree, but DO NOT use CMSIS. Use Stellarisware. Your dev time will be less than one day to setup peripherals.

The problem I have with any library is that the time is takes to learn the library is often greater than the time it would take me to just write my own code. I have also been burned by library bugs. So I end up reinventing the wheel a lot because I understand and trust my own code.

The peripherals on Stellaris and C2000 are too complex and I can't make much sense of CMSIS (Cortex Microcontroller Software Interface Standard).

I was going to do a little project with the Piccolo control stick, but the ePWM manual was 140 pages! Don't have time for that.

My favorite chip right now is the dsPIC33EP512MU810

I always imagined that you were the last person that I'd hear say that *anything* is too complex. Some of the projects you pull off with an MCU are quite impressive. I think that you could learn the C2000 in your sleep.

I'm surprised that you'd go with PIC. Not to knock any personal preferences for anyone, but I've always sorta seen PIC as more of a toy. But I guess it's quite capable after all?

I also ordered mine on 10/7, and mine arrived today as well.

As much as I like the MSP430s, the larger chips are just too expensive compared with what is out there these days *and* there is no DIP larger than 20 pins *and* specific chips are often difficult to locate. I don't think I'll be using a Cortex M4 any time soon, but it is a great introduction to ARM, and I am sure much can be applied to the Cortex M0 chips which I may actually start playing with.

Although I have yet to actually play with them, I am really liking what I have been reading about the PIC24s and the dsPIC33 upgrade path. The best way to think of the PIC24 is as a PIC16/18 replacement with a modern (sane) architecture. DIP packages up to 40 pins, good availability, and *cheaper* than comparable PIC16/18 parts.