43oh

F5529 Breakout Dev Board (Now with pics!)

So this is a work in progress... A fair bit of it is a copy off of TI's 5529 Experimenters Board because it's the basics required for operation... some of it just looked sane as well. Simple RC filter on AVcc and just 0.1uF bypass caps... Anything stick out as needing changed? Trying to make sure I'm correct and/or have everything I should/need before I do the board layout.

post-463-13513553803_thumb.png

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got the boards today from Seeed... couldn't help but solder at least one up... and I'm sad... the USB is failing (Unknown device / malfunctioning device) but programming it via a LP with SBW works fin

So this is a work in progress... A fair bit of it is a copy off of TI's 5529 Experimenters Board because it's the basics required for operation... some of it just looked sane as well. Simple RC filte

And now that parts finally showed up (yay for china ordering...) here's two pics of a fully pop'd one. I will be sending 3 of these to the store for BH at some time in the future... might send him th

Posted Images

Make it very versatile. Not sure about the f5529 smd sizing, but it looks big enough that you can add dip sized holes underneath were the smd f5529 would be, connected to the appropriate pins, atleast for the 14 pin DIP chips. Making it a general F5529 AND valueline board.

Looks great. The only thing I could ask for is a header that matches the ezRF header on the MSP-EXP430F5529 for easy wireless connectivity. You do that, and I'll buy at least 4 of them.

TFM-110-02-SM-D-A-K... Where to get them cheap? Samtec wants $41.50 for me to order just 10. It'd be easier putting a header to mount a RF2500T, those are regular 2x9 instead of the fancy header.

Edit: Oh, I got confused, yes, the RF2500T is the ezRF... I've updated the image with it :D

Those are for the RF1 & RF2 headers. Just to the right of those, there is a 18(2x9) male standard pin header for ezRF. It allows the RF2500T to plug right in. Should only be a few cents.

http://www.43oh.com/2011/08/simpliciti-bsp-ported-to-msp-exp430f5529-usb-experimenters-board/

I spaced on reading your reply. Yes, that's what I'm looking for. :crazy:

Rickta59 posted this one in IRC... http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/xqfp-b ... th=175_177 That more what you're looking for RobG? Or does the 5510 do USB as well? I'm going for more than just a simple breakout...

Yes, 5510 does have USB and I am not looking for a simple breakout board.

Since you are designing for a bigger chip, including smaller one would be a nice bonus (I don't need to use top of the line chip, at least not yet.) Pins are pretty much in the same order so routing them should not be a big deal.

post-197-135135514465_thumb.png

Remember. Nothing personal.

The first thing I always look at is the crystals.

A guy I used to work for thought he was hot **** as a layout artist because he could a) buy the $6000 software with pocket change and B) knew how to engage the autorouter function. His precious autorouter managed to make one leg of the crystal 4cm long and the other leg 8cm long while passing through at least two vias!

I had to break it to him that his board wouldn't run even at 32kHz. I thought I was going to get fired.

Anyhoo. Water under the bridge.

This is just a few of my observations.

• - Ground the body of XT1 (32kHz). Make sure to use a big thermal relief pad just like your 0.032" through-hole grounds.
    - Switch XT2 to an HC49/U style crystal. It's SMD, easy to obtain and super easy to work with. (eg: Abracon ABLS-16.000MHZ-B4-T)
    - Rotate R5 and C4 a quarter turn so that their common pads are closer together
    - Rotate R4 and C3 a quarter turn so that their common pads are closer together also.
    - The USB lines must be routed as an impedance controlled transmission line. 0.010" tracks spaced at 0.010" over top of ground plane on the other side should maintain 50ohms.
    - Add in two ESD surge protectors between the USB N & P lines and ground. eg: Littelfuse PGB1010603NR. Place them close to the USB connector ahead of R8 and R9
    - R10, C13 and C14 on the USB N and P lines. Why? I can't see that being a good thing. Is that in a TI App Note?
    - Change R8 and R9 to 10ohm. Did TI suggest that value?

I can see your preferred layout pattern (45') and I can see the attention to detail.

Good use of ground vias.

All in all, good job!

I hope that was helpful.

Remember. Nothing personal.

• - Ground the body of XT1 (32kHz). Make sure to use a big thermal relief pad just like your 0.032" through-hole grounds.
    - Switch XT2 to an HC49/U style crystal. It's SMD, easy to obtain and super easy to work with. (eg: Abracon ABLS-16.000MHZ-B4-T)
    - Rotate R5 and C4 a quarter turn so that their common pads are closer together
    - Rotate R4 and C3 a quarter turn so that their common pads are closer together also.
    - The USB lines must be routed as an impedance controlled transmission line. 0.010" tracks spaced at 0.010" over top of ground plane on the other side should maintain 50ohms.
    - Add in two ESD surge protectors between the USB N & P lines and ground. eg: Littelfuse PGB1010603NR. Place them close to the USB connector ahead of R8 and R9
    - R10, C13 and C14 on the USB N and P lines. Why? I can't see that being a good thing. Is that in a TI App Note?
    - Change R8 and R9 to 10ohm. Did TI suggest that value?

Doh... I was going to copy that part into my lib and change it so it has that pad broken out in the schematic... Forgot. Will get that :)

So a SMD XT2 is preferable to TH?... I've got a ton of TH... :\ Could do it though.

R5/C4 & R4/C3 I used the same layout as on the LP (trace may be a little diff)...

I've got no idea how to route those USB lines other than how I did? :-\ (I struggle with the basics of EE...)

I can add the ESD's no problem...

R10, C13, C14 = Followed from F5529 Experimenters Board, didn't fully research...

R8 and R9 are in the datasheet