43oh

New Here! - ez430-rf2500

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, and almost as new to the MSP430. I'm a student biomedical engineering but working on a senior design project, therefore all the chip design stuff is pretty foreign, but I'm picking up on it.

I come here to ask a pretty specific question: can we substitute our own chip for the ez430-rf2500 target board? For a couple reasons we don't want to use the target board provided, but we're still using an MSP430 and an RF2500 transceiver. Could we simply solder on a 6-pin header and connect it to the MSP430 as shown in the TI-Schematic, and then it will still interface with the USB kit?

Let me know what you guys think!

PS. I know that we could MAYBE use the target board anyways, with the addition of some chip redesign, so please don't make that your only recommendation... unless interfacing a different "target board" is WAY more difficult than I think it is.

Any info will be great! Thanks!

I'm almost as much of a newbie as you, but have been playing with the RF2500 (briefly) and the EZ430-F2103 USB stick. Maybe I can help a bit. I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do though. A bit more info on what you're doing might help.

The 6-pin header is used for power (2 lines), deploying and debugging the MSP430 code via Spy-by-Wire (2 more) and also has serial comms back to the sample PC application (the final 2). You probably won't want to connect to this one.

The 18 holes where you could attach a header gives you more access to the MSP430's pins and more likely to be where you would connect to other devices and extend the board.

Thanks for the quick reply. Basically i want the usb stick but dont want to use the target board. I want to program a custom board instead. Can i program my cuatom board so long as the the power and spybiwire pins are hooked up correctly? Will the computer/usb module know the difference?

Thanks for the quick reply. Basically i want the usb stick but dont want to use the target board. I want to program a custom board instead. Can i program my cuatom board so long as the the power and spybiwire pins are hooked up correctly? Will the computer/usb module know the difference?

General rule is that most newer spy-by-wire chips will work with the USB emulator (at least in the case of the Launchpad, which I believe has the same emulator) . Which chip are you planning to use with it?

See this PDF for details:

http://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/slau278 (See table 1-1).

You may also want to pick up the $4.30 Launchpad, since its emulator also supports most of the chips. I know that many people here have had a lot of luck in connecting the LP to non-value-line chips.

If all else fails, you could always request a free sample (TI is pretty generous) of a few to see if the microcontroller works for you before you commit to it. Just use the "Free Sample" functions on the microcontroller's product page.

Ah! That's a bit clearer. Oddly enough that's exactly what I've been doing. I've got an Olimex PIR board which I wanted to use and connected it up to the USB stick that came with my EZ430-F2013 (the same as the RF2500). I found these posts helpful on how to use the USB stick for other devices:

http://blog.curioussystem.com/2010/10/d ... for-ez430/

http://www.43oh.com/2010/11/ez430-f2013 ... out-cable/

http://www.simpleavr.com/msp430-projects/ti-launchbread

I went my own direction and bought some 0.05" header socket strip and soldered wires directly to it. (Image attached, but there's not much to it.)

Having said all that zborgerd is spot on that the Launchpad is another way to connect to any spy-by-wire devices and it's stupidly cheap at $4.30 including shipping. It might even be cheaper that the header strip! I just ordered 3 of them.

post-3215-13513551398_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks a lot guys! At least now I know the idea will work, which is good because we already ordered the parts. I also ordered a 6 pin female header with .05" pitch to match the ez430 pin out, we'll just solder that onto our board.

Looking at the schematic provided by TI (won't let me post the URL) and I noticed that only pins 2-5 actually are connected to the board (VCC EX and VCC HF and then 2 inputs to the MSP430). I saw in the picture that you only have 4 wires hooked up to the header, did you just not use TX0 and RX0? What are those for? You mentioned "sample PC application" but I don't really know what you meant. The other 4 pins I understand where they go.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! This forum just became a resource for my project :)

I spaced the URL so it doesn't think the post is "spammy".

I saw in the picture that you only have 4 wires hooked up to the header, did you just not use TX0 and RX0? What are those for? You mentioned "sample PC application" but I don't really know what you meant. The other 4 pins I understand where they go.

I'm only using 4 pins (2 for power and 2 for spy-by-wire) so that's all I soldered on.

The SEH kit I got has a sample application running on the PC which displays the temperature and battery voltage of all the RF2500s. One of the RF2500 boards stays connected to the USB stick and presumably communicates with the PC application via the RX and TX pins. Any others RF2500s you have are battery powered. They link up wirelessly and report in to that one. I'm not sure if a similar demo app comes with the EZ430-RF2500 kit. If not, I apologise for the confusion.

I'm so feeling like a beginner this evening. I used to C# and coding on a Netduino, but the MSP430 is much harder work! I've just spend a while trying to get the Comparator_A+ working on a F2013. Stop giggling at the back! I've finally realised that it doesn't have one. And those confusingly similar definitions in the header files are driving me up the wall. Would slightly longer names kill you so that I can tell the difference between WDTTMSEL and WDTSSEL without looking them up? Grrrr... rant over.

• 2 months later...

Dont get your panties in a bunch. You WILL get it. It took me several weeks, and the help of an expert programmer to get familiar with programming the LP. He was just as confused as me at the beginning. I still have trouble explaining to him why we need P1REN commands... I am no where near an expert, but the folks here have a great way of giving me good kicks when I ask for them. Do you have Davies' book?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 174895845#