43oh

eZ430-RF2500-SEH - how to handle the right way?

I also ordered the eZ430-RF2500-SEH tool.

I'm a little confused how J8 works. Are there any real schematics of the board? I can't find them :(

Does anybody know the correct way how to handle the board/the batteries to not damage it when storing in a box while not in use?

I read something about a brief draw of ~30mA to bring the module in a cutoff state. Otherwise the boost converter would draw something about 800nA from the batteries until they die.

My problem is: I don't get what state the energy harvester is in while shipped and stored from ti, in what state it goes when removing the jumper at J8 and how to correctly put the kit back in "storage mode" to not damage it over time.

regards,

leo

TI says the following in the PDF (23):

2. I've left the Solar Energy Harvesting Module under a bright light for three days, but it still

doesn't work in the dark?

The shunt on J8 must be removed to charge the EnerChip from the solar cell. With J8 in place, the

battery is isolated to prevent potential damage caused by it draining while in transport or storage.

Cymbet says that the cells can be left in a discharged state without any issue:

Q: What happens if the cell is left in a discharged state for a long period of time?

A: Leaving the cell in a discharged state is not detrimental to the cell performance.

http://www.cymbet.com/pdfs/DS-72-06.pdf (Page 10).

I just decided to jumper it when storing it... The same way it was shipped to me. I also disconnected the jumper on the portable AA battery adapter board when I boxed it back up.

In other news, it appears that the energy module is a removable DIP, which is pretty cool. I didn't take a close look at it to see if it was removable, but I did try the demo software and it's pretty cool!

@zborgerd

In the document you linked above it says:

The CBC5300 energy harvester module contains a low battery cutoff circuit that prevents the EnerChips from being completely discharged - a condition that would permanently damage the battery. The cutoff circuit places a parasitic 800nA load on the battery - a load that would discharge the two EnerChips in approximately 125 hours, or just over 5 days. If the EnerChips are allowed to reach the cutoff voltage at such low discharge currents, their specified cycle life will be reached after a few hundred of such deep discharge cycles. To avoid this condition and extend the service life of the EnerChip, it is advisable to program the MCU to count transmission cycles or elapsed time to determine when the EnerChips