43oh

I'm critiquing the logo. Nothing personal okay?

I think you should get rid of the tag line from the logo. Then you can use the logo on everything from letterheads to invoices ;)

I think the binary O is not hard enough. If you stand back a little then the O sorta disappears. Maybe you could put a 50% transparent donut behind it? Something to make it stand out a little more? Maybe coloring it red and bolding the font might work?

Also, would you want to encode a meaning into the binary value? Easter egg style?

I'm not sure about the crystal in the middle. What's the intended meaning of it?

And is that an antenna above the O?

Color color color!

1. Color Scheme Designer

2. The most powerful colors in the world

Personally, I think you should pick RED so that you can associate yourself with TI subconsciously.

I think what's missing is a visual element that suggests the MSP430 identity. Something you'd look at and say "Hey! He's referring to an MSP430." ie: Apple logo: It's an object that says the word apple in your head. or TI's logo: It's the state of Texas so it gives you the first word.

I'll brainstorm here and see what ideas I can generate. Can't step on TI's intellectual property toes.

Thanks guys.

It was done in under an hour and DP needed a logo for the site for their 7400 competition.

I'm not sure about the crystal in the middle. What's the intended meaning of it?

The oh(msp430) and the crystal are the minimum parts required to run the MSP430 or rather any microcontroller.

And is that an antenna above the O?

Positive. There is a gnd symbol under H if you look closely

Also, would you want to encode a meaning into the binary value? Easter egg style?

I tried to, but was unable to come up with one... any suggestions?

I think you should get rid of the tag line from the logo. Then you can use the logo on everything from letterheads to invoices

I need ideas to convey that the logo means MSP430.

I don't likey the font. Too soft. Too many curves . I'm not saying Eagle vector font, but a bit more edges would look better, IMHO.

Point noted.

The bit pattern for "o" is cool. Maybe make that red, and lose the (currently red) dot. The red/grey scheme is good, though, I'd keep that.

Thanks, I'll have some samples.

I think what's missing is a visual element that suggests the MSP430 identity.

Unfortunately, I couldn't think of anything other than a chip, which could mean any controller. Again ideas...

I mostly agree with zeke, lines should have similar width so when logo is scaled, detail is not lost.

Agree.

Thanks for the link colors zeke.

VERY nice. I really like it quite a bit. :D

My input FWIW:

I think you should get rid of the tag line from the logo. Then you can use the logo on everything from letterheads to invoices ;)

Agreed. You can add the tagline where appropriate but overall it should not be part of the logo. Perhaps bold the font so it scales better.

I think the binary O is not hard enough.

Also agreed, though I don't agree with adding color always due to printing expense. Remember, silkscreen layers are one color. ;) Perhaps just bolding the font will help. Also, moving it down toward the baseline would make it look more like an "o".

I'm not sure about the crystal in the middle. What's the intended meaning of it? And is that an antenna above the O?

Agree again. I think you were going for a circuit look on the lines, but it's a bit too subtle. My suggestion is to lose the vertical line and replace the crystal with a DIP, perhaps a 3/4 outline view from above to symbolize the uC we love.

So, following all of these suggestions will probably lead to a hideous logo, but there it is: my opinion. :mrgreen:

What are you? Canadian?!

:lol:

Nothing to be sorry about. It's called brain storming for a reason.

My ideas are presented to give Bluehash something to compare to. They should cause him to react emotionally. From those reactions he will get an idea of how he likes his original logo.

If he still likes his logo then Mission Accomplished.

If he likes any one of my logos then Mission Accomplished.

It's all up to Bluehash. I'm just hoping that I'm making it easier for him to decide.

The logo is okay, but as has been said, the font needs to be something bolder and maybe more blocky.

And the small o does kinda disappear into the logo. It's too small, and blends in.

As for an alternative, Zeke's battery one is the only one I like (Though I would have a full battery, with 430h in the middle.) All the rest look very lottery/gambling/sports/racing number like. And look more like 43 H. Looks like the 76 Gas Station Logo.