smula

CC3200 WiFi WEP

• CC3200R chip with the ARM® Cortex®-M4 Core at 80 MHz 
  • CC3200 board based on the Launch_XL reference design
  • Service Pack: servicepack_1.0.1.11-2.9.0.0
  • Energia IDE 1.6.10E18
  • Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for having this great forum and all the work you have done for the CC3200 SoC. I am having an issue with my project. I am utilizing the CC3200 for an IoT project.  We recently did an installation of our prototype at a venue where they use a WEP network. Our CC3200 boards have worked fine with WPA networks but this is the first instance where we have had to work with a WEP network.  Before I have them changing their network(in the middle of the woods at a campground) I was hoping to sort out why the WEP connection fails.

Just using the ConnectwithWEP example provided by Energia IDE which utilizes the WiFi and wlan libraries I am unable to connect to a WEP network. 
    I have recreated the network at my home setting up a WEP network using a 10 character hexadecimal key which is what they are using. (64 bit Encrypted WEP network)
char ssid[] = "myssid";
int key_idx = 0;
char key[] = "##########"; (where # is 0-9 A-F 10 characters long)

The board finds the network but never connects (Attempting to to connect to Network named myssid ...........)

However, If i make the key 13 characters long I connect to the network but then it sits waiting to be assigned an ip address. Furthermore, if I assign a static ip the board connects and is assigned the static ip but I have no network access via pinging the board or retrieving a web page via a GET request.

I have read about this similar issue here:
https://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_connectivity/simplelink_wifi_cc31xx_cc32xx/f/968/t/415573
but it never seemed to have been answered.

It seems like there is an issue with using 10 hexadecimal characters vs 13 ASCII characters. When I use the 10 character string it never gets to a certain point. If I add an additional 3 characters it makes it to a certain point but of course the key is wrong and so it is never assigned an ip address. 

I am able to connect to the WEP network with my pc and mobile phone. I have know idea what they use behind the scenes for making the network connection.  I have begun looking through the WiFi libraries but it seems odd the problem would be there. It has survived through both Arduino and Energia trials and scrutiny.

Any ideas of what I might try?

Many thanks

Sam