yong

TelosB(MSP430F1611) printing values to terminal

So, I assume that the Mote creates a virtual comm port. So, what port? What Baud rate? And with putty, what port an baud?

What OS for the PC? Windows? Mac? Linux? 

Also, I see your query on E2E, hopefully on Monday you'll see a more detailed response from there.

At the moment, there are so many unknowns regarding your question, it's not possible to do more than ask you questions rather than give suggestions.

NurseBob,

Thank you for your reply. I do not quite understand what you mean by port, and the baud rate is 9600. 

The OS is MAC, I changed a bit of code and still not getting any readings.

00std_temp.c

Yong,

I have to admit great ignorance for Mac OS.  However, you really need to understand what a serial port is. Take a look here and use google to find out more.  To both load code and, in many cases, to see output you will be connecting to a serial port.  The board and system you are starting with is fairly complex. You might do well to start with a very simple "Blinking LED" source example and with one of the very inexpensive launchpad devices to better understand the communication with and programming of the device. :)

Bob

I think I know what you mean, it is USB serial.

This is the board and system I have to get familir really quick as it is for my project. 

Thank you

2 hours ago, yong said:

I think I know what you mean, it is USB serial.

Well, I guess your homework starts there. Research serial communications, and make sure to focus on the Mac.  FWIW, USB serial means that via the USB port and USB protocols, a virtual serial port is created for data transfers.  Before there were USB ports, most computers had dedicated serial ports; these have been superseded by the more "modern" USB ports, which are in many ways more flexible, but also orders of magnitude more complex for a programmer to control.  Serial ports, by comparison, were relatively simple, and you may run across terms like "bit banging" in reference to serial communications, where programmers wrote their own communication software based on the incoming and/or outgoing bit patterns. You might find some value in this reference to RS232 communication (Serial ports use this protocol)

Back to your board;it's possible the board is working correctly, but if you don't have putty configured correctly, you may see nothing, or what would indicate you're heading down the right path, gibberish.  FWIW, seeing any output is an improvement over no output.  Also, while I use and recommend putty for file transfers and logging in to remote servers, you might find Realterm or similar easier to understand and use for serial communications.

2 hours ago, yong said:

This is the board and system I have to get familir really quick as it is for my project.

A dedicated msp430 board could easily reduce complexity and allow a more step-wise approach. It's unlikely it would slow your learning, and possible that by removing complexity, you just might figure things out more quickly. Basically, learn to walk before trying to sprint. Just my opinion.

Bob