43oh

Launchpad...anxiously awaiting...

I talked myself into buying a couple launchpads when I saw them announced on Hackaday, though I have very little idea what I might do with them. :lol: My first thought was to update a nifty lil robot that a friend and I made a few years back, using a Parallax product with very little power. We could barely make it follow walls and avoid objects, but that may have been simple lack of experience.

I've had a few random ideas since then, from a desk-pet toy to driving a mini CNC I haven't built yet. (Been breaking down junk to get some nice rods and linear bearings, got a couple steppers but no idea how they work :P)

Just wondering, what are others planning to do with their kit?

I'm using my LaunchPad to program the MSP430F2013 chip and the MSP430F5528 chip. I have will have upwards of 8 (eventually many more) 2013 chips which will be using the SD 16 ADC, which will serially send the data to the 5528 which will organize it a bit, do some preprocessing and then send the data to the computer using its USB peripheral.

There are so many possibilities since it can be used to program other MSP430's. Eventually what I want to do though is make my whole data logging application wireless, and consume such little power that batteries are barely worth worrying about. That comes much later though. :-P

NJC

http://msp430launchpad.blogspot.com

I have LaunchPad with jumper J4 soldered (1.27mm or 0.05inch spacing pinhead). I can use any of the eZ430 daughterboards. Got myself 2 eZ430-RF2500T so I will be able to do some wireless RF. I am also very into MSP430, seems like 8bit PICs and AVRs give me headache with complicated SFRs and datasheets. Also tons of compilers and integrated IDEs make one big mess.

We also done MSP430 lectures at university with MSP430 embedded into custom boards which had transistors and optocoplers to interface with 0-24V world. Done some ADC, digital I/O, PWM,...

Looking forward to see MSP-Four-Three-oh community expand! :)

Hello all,

Wanted to welcome all you new people to the forums. Thanks for giving it a start.

If you have any problems or suggestions, please let me know here.

Just wondering, what are others planning to do with their kit?

A few of my ideas, some touch on NJC's ideas:

- Wireless nodes/motes, Zigbee, Bluetooth or Nordic radios

- Shields for the Launchpad

- Interface to a GPS and Data log

- SD Card interface

I love the TI Chronos too. Do any of you guys have it?

No Chronos for me (yet?). I haven't started thinking about wireless, but when I do I need something with super low current draw, and pretty fast communication speed; generally those two things don't play nicely together. Do you happen to know what the maximum speed of the wireless link is? And what kind of current it draws when it's transmitting at full speed?

It seems like a pretty cool device, the problem for me is that I don't have too much time to play around with things that don't pertain to my project directly since it's pretty hardcore. Maybe one day soon though.

About the LaunchPad shields, I am very very interested in getting some shields up and running, after these forums get a bit more popular, I'm thinking of starting a thread to see what kinda standards people want to see in shields. I think it would be nice if we can come up with a nice standard so there's support across the board for all kinds of different devices.

-NJC

I'm thinking of starting a thread to see what kinda standards people want to see in shields

I can do some initial research as well and help you on that thread. I haven't worked on the Arduino shields before, but can do some look up on the web.

It will be good if can get a headstart on this.

I for one would love to see an ethernet/wifi shield, if it's at all possible given the Launchpad's limited pins.

Also, a protoshield is always nice.

For my applications, an audio synthesis shield would be perfect. Something with a 16 bit DAC, mono/stereo 1/4" jack, a piezo buzzer or two, a few tact switches, and a few (3 or 4 ideally) potentiometers.

Also, first post, waiting for my 4 that I ordered the day after it was announced...

@gatesphere

It definitely would be possible to create an ethernet/wifi sheild for the LaunchPad, all you really need is an SPI or I2C (any communication interface really) interface to send and receive data. See the Spark Fun link below for a wifi device that could easily be integrated into the LaunchPad.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=9333

Great idea with the audio synthesis shield, sometimes I get so engulfed in my own project I forget that there are other things out there to play with! :-)

@everyone & bluehash

I spent a bit of time today researching the Arduino shields (since I really don't have any experience with them). One thing that frustrated me was that there seemed to be no comprehensive, all encompassing, standard. This lead me to decide that I will write up a proposal for a shield standard on my blog and if there is enough support maybe it can become the true standard for some form of "LaunchPad approved shields". My goal would be to create a true standard that answers any all hopefully all reasonable questions that would come about when designing a shield.

I would love to start making and selling shields but I'm not sure I have the time to do fabrication and testing on the shields. Designing them is the easy part! :-P

-NJC

This lead me to decide that I will write up a proposal for a shield standard on my blog and if there is enough support maybe it can become the true standard for some form of "LaunchPad approved shields"

When you have a draft of the proposal, let me know, I can link you from the main site(43oh.com) and the forums.

I started a thread here for discussing shields.

• 1 month later...

Anybody know what the "Status" meanings are on the TI store? My (#2) order shows as "Processing" and shipment as "Waiting to Ship". I can't check my first order, as I have forgotten the order number. :(

I've heard from others (on the old system) that by the time the status updates, they have already had their order in hand. Hopefully the new system is a little more responsive.

If you click on the order number, it should give you an estimated ship date. The only order I'm waiting for now (of 3 LaunchPads) is due to be shipped out on 10/25.

The old system does update on time, though. For example, on wednesday, my last order using the old e-store was given a tracking number, which worked. It was delivered yesterday.

I might be misunderstanding your question, though. Hope this helps :)

If you click on the order number, it should give you an estimated ship date.

Yeah, I totally missed that column... :oops:

Let's see, since the newer order is scheduled to ship on 08 Oct 10, the older order (for LPs also) should ship before that. We'll see how this works out. :)

-Doc

EDIT: UPDATE - Got an email that my NEWER order shipped (from Singapore!) via FedEx. I wonder if the older order shipped? I'll wait 'til after I receive the newer order next week to call and check on the old order (which is paid for already).

• 2 weeks later...