Sign in to follow this  
TimGS

CPU Hangs after download from Launchpad

I am new to the MSP430 and Launchpad. After I build the code and launch debug I notice that the Green LED goes dim and the reset button does not reset the cpu. I unplug the USB and then plug it back in and my cpu comes to life and the code works.

1) Any suggestions?

2) If I unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in does it stop the debugger?

The debugger uses the reset line for communication with the MSP430 while debugging (assuming SBW), so the reset button must not be used while debugging.

If you are using CSS, then you must start the code after it has been downloaded. Click the run button on the toolbar in the debug window.

Do not unplug USB while the debugger is running - it probably will not be able to reconnect to the hardware and may hang.

Thank you for your help...

View>Debug helped me see the start arrow and since then I have created a number of small programs...

msp430g2452 to DOGM LCD/HD44780 via SPI/8-bit Parallel/4-bit Parallel

msp430g2452 to PC via SW UART over the launchpad's USP

The only issue I run into now is when the program is in LP mode while waiting for an interrupt; if I cancel the debug session the CCS v4 hangs. :(

Thank you for your help...

View>Debug helped me see the start arrow and since then I have created a number of small programs...

msp430g2452 to DOGM LCD/HD44780 via SPI/8-bit Parallel/4-bit Parallel

msp430g2452 to PC via SW UART over the launchpad's USP

The only issue I run into now is when the program is in LP mode while waiting for an interrupt; if I cancel the debug session the CCS v4 hangs. :(

It happens... Not sure why though, as the launchpad and CSSv4 should have full control of the EEM and Spy-bi wire module...