43oh

Simple "Pop Top" Booster Pack

After joining this forum over 3 years ago I thought it overdue that I say hello and contribute something that I hope you will find useful.

Attached is a picture of simple booster packs that I make. But are they really a "booster pack"? Hmmm. Debatable!

They are cheap and easy to make and I have made 5 of them. I use them all the time because the whole of each project, including the MSP430, is attached to the booster pack. This means I can switch between projects without re-wiring, I can change the model of MSP430 in seconds and I only need one Launchpad.

You can see from the picture that I provide two sets of header pins to attach "stuff" to, but provide four header pins for the 3.3V and GND. I also use long-leaded header plugs, partly because I have to solder the strip boards "upside down" (notice the small gap between the strip board and the header sockets) and also because the excess leads are easily accessible test points for things like logic analysers, etc. I keep the strip board to the smallest possible size so that all the Launchpad jumpers remain accessible.

I've tried different designs, some with LEDs, switches, small breadboards and more besides, but this is the one I use all the time. I call it a "pop top" because you pop the top off a launchpad and swap it for another, then another.

That's all for now. Hopefully it'll not be another 3 years before my next posting!

MSP430 PopTop.jpg

Edited by FrankB
missed a word.