43oh

How set max power 14 dBm on CC1350 Launchpad

Hi there,

I was looking for  at this forum about how can I increase the transmit power on Launchpad C1350 to 14 dBm, but I didn't find any complete solution.

I read about de ccfg.c file, I edited that file and deleted comment in red line (see below):

Path:  C:\Users\litos97\AppData\Local\Energia15\packages\energia\hardware\cc13xx\4.9.0\system\source\ti\devices\cc13x0\startup_files

//#####################################
// Force VDDR high setting (Higher output power but also higher power consumption)
//#####################################

#ifndef CCFG_FORCE_VDDR_HH
//#define CCFG_FORCE_VDDR_HH                              0x0        // Use default VDDR trim
#define CCFG_FORCE_VDDR_HH                                 0x1        // Force VDDR voltage to the factory HH setting (FCFG1..VDDR_TRIM_HH)
#endif

Now in my sketch I change the power to 14 dBm:

// begin defaults to EasyLink_Phy_50kbps2gfsk
  myLink.begin(EasyLink_Phy_625bpsLrm);
  EasyLink_setRfPwr(14);
  delay(1000);

After that I check the power:

#ifdef DEBUG
    Serial.println(myLink.version());
    Serial.print ("Potencia TX (dBm) : "); Serial.println(EasyLink_getRfPwr());
  #endif

But nothing change, I always is 12 dBm. If I decrease the power to 10 dBm for example, getRFPwr() shows the correct information 10 dBm.

Can you help with this, please ??

Thank´s in advance.

Litos97

For 14dBm, EasyLink might tell you 12dBm but only because the RF register setting for 12dBm is identical to the setting for 14dBm, the only difference is the CCFG_FORCE_VDDR_HH=1 which boosts the power to the RF stage internally a bit.

Likewise, if you set it to 0dBm with CCFG_FORCE_VDDR_HH=1, your actual transmit power should (theoretically) be a little higher.  EasyLink's way of determining this won't tell you though.

Thank you very much for your information spirilis.

But I checked that there isn´t any change from 12 dBm to 14 dBm in my scketch, always I have the same rssi value at received side. This is because I think I do something wrong.

I checked with SmartRf Studio at 14 dBm and I have better rssi value.

Is it correct the path of ccfg.c that I must modify ??

Path:  C:\Users\litos97\AppData\Local\Energia15\packages\energia\hardware\cc13xx\4.9.0\system\source\ti\devices\cc13x0\startup_files

Must I modify other file or only ccfg.c and compile Energia sketch ??

Thank´s a lot.

Litos97

I gotcha... I haven't personally used Energia with this chip.  I do know that in CCS, it's not good enough to set a #define somewhere for that, I have to make it a compiler directive using the project properties compiler predefine option.  So it's highly probable that Energia's not building it with CCFG_FORCE_VDDR_HH=1 correctly.

Thank´s spirilis.

I tried to import Energia sketch in CCS and put a define line in predefine option. All compilation ok, the communication works between launchpads but not at full power.

I need max power because I would like to install the launchpad on a rotative big machine and sends the Temperature to an electrical cabinet, and I´m not sure if it will work with less power than 14 dBm.

Any help will be appreciated.

Litos97