Sign in to follow this  
wulfman

Am i doing something wrong trying to program a 28 tssop 430g2553 with a launchpad

I designed a board using a MSP430G2553IPW28R its the 28 pin tssop package. I read on this forum that you can use the launchpad to program the part

I have some code written and can program a 20 pin device but when i connect the wires to my board from the launchpad is cant find the device or its not there.

Error connecting to the target:
Could not find device (or device not supported)

I used CCS and just for the hell of it did the MSP-EXP430G2-LaunchPad User Experience Application example which programs just fine but i get the same error

when plugged onto my board. Here is how i connected the part to the launchpad. Yes 20 pin IC removed from launchpad. I am at a loss.

My board is powered from its own 3.3v supply and the grounds are common. The ground is always connected between the launchpad and the proto board.

for testing i just remove/reconnect the 2 spy-by-wire pins and add/remove the 20 pin g2553 for testing the output.  The 28 pin parts are new from mouser and i have 2 boards that

i built that do the same thing. Any help would be nice

g2553.jpg

Its definitely possible to program the 2553 / 28 pin device with the Launchpad - especially with CCS.  So, likely there's a PCB / wiring issue on your proto.

Looking at your schematic....      the capacitor C2 / 0.1 uF   --  not needed.     Reset needs a +- 30K pullup / 1nF to ground but this may already be provided - depending on where exactly you wired your jumper onto the Launchpad.

Can we assume that you've got +3volt / GND connected?    Anything else on the schematic we should know about?

And I would start with the CCS 'blink' example (toggles P1.0 - often connected to an LED), just to check the communication via Spy By Wire.

Keep going - it'll work !!

Well  looking at the signals with the scope they both look fine. I Removed the cap and it works fine now  go figure.

Ok. I guess i am losing my mind. I looked at the hardware ref and Doh !  that cap is supposed to be connected to the

rst line not the test line. It seems that i am going blind. And its supposed to be a .01uf not a .1uf

Edited by wulfman
It works now

This is my schematic for a typical msp430 programming setup.

Notice the resistor and capacitor on the SBWTDIO line?

Compare that to your schematic. What do you see?

58dc210297ee2_MicroSBW.PNG.88d7d4a5c3b5baa3725890f2c852ba81.PNG

14 hours ago, veryalive said:

Its definitely possible to program the 2553 / 28 pin device with the Launchpad - especially with CCS.  So, likely there's a PCB / wiring issue on your proto.

Looking at your schematic....      the capacitor C2 / 0.1 uF   --  not needed.     Reset needs a +- 30K pullup / 1nF to ground but this may already be provided - depending on where exactly you wired your jumper onto the Launchpad.

Can we assume that you've got +3volt / GND connected?    Anything else on the schematic we should know about?

And I would start with the CCS 'blink' example (toggles P1.0 - often connected to an LED), just to check the communication via Spy By Wire.

Keep going - it'll work !!

Just sayin' . . . If CCS can do it, so can mspdebug.