NurseBob

CCS Free

I just got the following email:

CHANGES FOR CODE COMPOSER STUDIO (CCS)                                        

As a long-term Code Composer Studio IDE customer we value your dedication. Thank you for being a loyal customer. TI has great news regarding Code Composer Studio (CCS); effective today Texas Instruments will no longer charge for CCS licenses.

Going forward this means:

• You can upgrade simply by going to www.ti.com/ccstudio to download the latest CCSv7, install it and use it.
  • You no longer need to use the myRegistered Software portal to manage licenses.

For questions see FAQ: http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/tools-software/ccs-faq.page

For additional questions, please contact ccs_license_file_help@list.ti.com

Texas Instruments, Inc.

Given that not six months ago I paid $500.00 for this product, I can say it doesn't actually make me a fan...  Seems the sales rep might have been able to offer that I might want to wait a bit. :(

On the other hand, I am in support of making professonal tools available to the maker market at non-corporate prices.  Now, if only someone could convince IAR to do the same!

@@NurseBob, didn't you feel outraged when they started giving away CCS with the purchase of some launchpad boards back in September? You should have asked for a refund back then.

What about the people who bought a launchpad to get the free CCS?  Don't they feel taken?  What about the people who got the double whammy? They bought a black msp432 so they could get a free CCS. Now they have a board with chips that has been deprecated, and the latest of version of CCS won't even work with that board. (Sorry I posted about $9.99 deal. I didn't know they were going to give it away 3 months later )

Over the years I've spent small fortunes on various compilers and tools. Microsoft C in the 80's, and 90, and early 2000s.  I used to have a MSDN subscription that cost $2200 per year. Borland C++ was less expensive but still wasn't free. I'm sure none of you remember Centerline-C++ in the 90's, it eventually turned into the product called Rational Purify C++. It cost about $5000/seat in the 90s.  Add in the cost of many bounds check tools and many frameworks to make cross platform development easier and it all adds up to a lot of wasted money.  However, all these products were the cost of doing business.  I was making money so I had to spend money.

I've never understood the idea of paying real money for a development tool for use with a hobby.  The sad thing, and I have no inside knowledge of this just a hunch, I'm sure if google or Disney gave any hint of wanting to use TI chips, I would be surprised if TI made google or Disney pay for a CCS license.  It is only the little guys who actually pay for a license and then they get ignored when they have issues because they don't represent a large revenue stream.

Personally, I'm glad they are now providing CCS for free.  Even if you purchased CCS you didn't get any better support than those that were using the code size limited version.  At least the value of support matches the price of the product : )

What I've observed with TI, if they are offering you a deal that sounds too good to be true, they are getting ready to obsolete that product.

-rick

Now, if only someone could convince IAR to do the same!

IAR making software tool for different micro families. They are living from selling this.

TI was selling software tool for their own product. It was not possible to build code for Atmel or PIC devices by CCS, so I don't get it why it was selling at all. Only reason that I can think of is that CCS was producing 2 times faster in half size binary related to IAR.

And yes, it is really funny that TI was selling CCS license, few days ago, packed together with old, slow, and not-updatable FET, with limited support (or not supported at all) on new OS's.

Jazz,

Your points about IAR are reasonable. On the other hand, a less limited version than kickstart would be appreciated. Years ago I would have paid an amount similar to what I paid for CCS without a second thought if it would allow me more than 8K. I realize that there is no code size limit for assembler, and if my assembler skills were better than they are now, I'd be writing in assembler for my current project.  But the design demands a skill level it would take a year to develop, and I don't have that much time available.  Oh well, a future project...

I work for TI and figured I owe you an explanation. 

It wasn't our intention with the promotions to mislead you and to try to sell more LaunchPads or Debug Probes.  Over the past few years we have really been pushing hard to make our tools more affordable.  We started those promotions as we knew that we would be changing our pricing and wanted to help transition to the new model vs having a sharp cut over.  i.e. instead of having customers pay full price for a CCS license we wanted them to buy a hardware development tool that they could use that also came with a license.  

Transitions such as these are never easy and I apologize if this has caused you some heartache.  Ultimately we just want to make it simple and easy to develop on TI platforms and this change was done with that in mind.

Regards,

John

It wasn't our intention with the promotions to mislead you and to try to sell more LaunchPads or Debug Probes

Why than you didn't put note inside promotion that CCS 7 will be free, without license.

And why (not updatable / unsupported) G2 LP was part of promotion, why not 5529LP. Why you are selling G2 LP at all anymore?

The selection of which LaunchPads were included in the promotion was based on which ones were available in sufficient quantity around the world at the time.  My preference would have been to have had the promotion on all of them but unfortunately that was not possible.  Some newer MSP LaunchPads like the MSP432P401R and MSP430FR5994 were included, but unfortunately MSP430F5529 was not.

A note inside the promotion that CCSv7 would not require a paid license would not have solved the issue, just pulled the issue forward to the time of the promotion.

Regards,

John

The selection of included LP, starting with the "worst" one and bringing the "good" ones few days later, disappointed me.

So, I bought an (almost) useless LP *) to acquire an (almost) useless CCS license.

Useless for me, as I already had one, no need for a second.