Sign in to follow this  
Marc

OPT3001 and MSP430

One thing I think I'll try is a non-Energia I2C direct approach to see if Energia timing issues are playing a role. I'll be adapting the F5529 sample code to read the device and then send it to a USB display. My reason for a non-serial display approach is based on the USB's ability to handle conversations on a millisecond time frame. And, a good learning experience.

I know how you feel @@NurseBob, wow nursing instructor at day, developer at night?

Thanks @@Rei Vilo, I downloaded the SensorsWeather_Library and hooked up my sensor to the CC3200 launchpad. It works without glitches now!

There is still a NAK at the end of the wire transmission, but the CC3200 seems to have no problem getting the correct value.

I am more convinced that it is some timing issue with the energia wire implementation.

I think I have found the issue:

In the energia opt3001.cpp code (line 77) the implementation for the register read readRegister(uint8_t registerName) declared the lsb, msb and result variables as int8_t.

(line 79, OPT3001.cpp)

int8_t lsb;
int8_t msb;
int16_t result;

I changed this to unsigned, as they are supposed to be:
uint8_t lsb;
uint8_t msb;
uint16_t result;

The code now works. Thank you for sharing your library @@Rei Vilo, I was able to realize this by doing a side by side comparison with your code. I hope this will prevent any issues you may have with your project @@NurseBob!

I think I have found the issue:

In the energia opt3001.cpp code (line 77) the implementation for the register read readRegister(uint8_t registerName) declared the lsb, msb and result variables as int8_t.

(line 79, OPT3001.cpp)

int8_t lsb;
int8_t msb;
int16_t result;

I changed this to unsigned, as they are supposed to be:
uint8_t lsb;
uint8_t msb;
uint16_t result;

The code now works. Thank you for sharing your library @@Rei Vilo, I was able to realize this by doing a side by side comparison with your code. I hope this will prevent any issues you may have with your project @@NurseBob!

Ahh!!!  A bit of magic. :)

Great catch.

I suspect there is a math error in the OPT301.cpp file.  Shining a bright source on the sensor I see the sketch reporting a value of 131040 lux.  The maximum value the sensor can report is 83806 lux. After looking more closely at a pair of logic traces, I am wondering about the handling of the I2C transactions on the Energia side. I see ACK with the EVM, and NAK with the Energia code, though the magnatude of the values are close (0xBFFF for the Energia code, and 0xCC10 for the EVM)

I believe there is still a problem in OPT3001.cpp.  The device has a max Lux value of 83886, but the readResult() method returns 131040 after a left shift of the raw result.
(forgive the double post; I thought the previous had not been sent...)

Yes, another issue with the OPT3001.cpp (or is it?) is that instead of using the calculation methods of the datasheet, they use a shortcut using bit shifting to approximate the exponent multiplication constant. This is probably to keep the data as a uint32_t instead of a float.

To get the exact data as the OPT3001EVM, I replaced the opt3001::readResult() function on 146 of OPT3001.cpp (and the prototype in OPT3001.h to a float) to:

float opt3001::readResult()
{
uint16_t exponent = 0;
float result = 0;
int16_t raw;
raw = readRegister(RESULT_REG);

/*Convert to LUX*/
//extract result & exponent data from raw readings
result = raw&0x0FFF;
exponent = (raw>>12)&0x000F;

//convert raw readings to LUX
switch(exponent){
case 0: //*0.015625
result = result*0.01;
break;
case 1: //*0.03125
result = result*0.02;
break;
case 2: //*0.0625
result = result*0.04;
break;
case 3: //*0.125
result = result*0.08;
break;
case 4: //*0.25
result = result*0.16;
break;
case 5: //*0.5
result = result*0.32;
break;
case 6:
result = result*0.64;
break;
case 7: //*2
result = result*1.28;
break;
case 8: //*4
result = result*2.56;
break;
case 9: //*8
result = result*5.12;
break;
case 10: //*16
result = result*10.24;
break;
case 11: //*32
result = result*20.48;
break;
default:
result = 0;
}

return result;

}

Thanks for the clarification. I had also come to the realization that the bit shift was a shortcut that simplified coding, and in many cases wouldn't cause a problem with a board designed to show principles.

I see I may need to further edit the algorthim for readResult(), since I want to see the decimal portion - my application is working in low light levels (between 0.05 and 0.5 lux).  So an integral result of 0 is a problem.  Ultimately, I won't really need the conversion as the intent is to set a range for the interrupts and change the state of my app based on the high/low interrupts.  But for now, I the serial output is handy for debugging.  So, back to the docs on page 20 calculating Lux.